Is this cross development environment possible?

Hi, All, I'm trying to configure my cross development environment as the following combination. But I'm not sure that is it possible?

Eclipse + CDT runs on Windows platform, the cross tool chain run on Virtual PC (or VMware), and Samba is used to share files between Windows and Linux. The chip on target board is MIPS, and target system can mount file system that provided by NFS on the Virtual PC. Can I compile and debug on the Eclipse? If it is possible, could you give me some suggestion to configure the eclipse?

Best regards,

Tony

Reply to
sunnyboyGuo

Hi, All, I'm trying to configure my cross development environment as the following combination. But I'm not sure that is it possible?

Eclipse + CDT runs on Windows platform, the cross tool chain run on Virtual PC (or VMware), and Samba is used to share files between Windows and Linux. The chip on target board is MIPS, and target system can mount file system that provided by NFS on the Virtual PC. Can I compile and debug on the Eclipse? If it is possible, could you give me some suggestion to configure the eclipse?

As I need run some other tools on Windows, so i'd like to run Eclipse on Windows not to run on Virtual PC to avoid some misc.

Best regards,

Tony

Reply to
sunnyboyGuo

Yes, this is possible. However, it should be perfectly possible to run your toolchain directly under windows rather than in a virtual PC. For debugging, this would certainly be easier (though it is possible to use Eclipse on one PC as the front end, gdb on another (virtual) pc, and the hardware interface backend on yet another). It is also possible to install an nfs server on windows (it's part of cygwin). The only issue is that if your target is running linux, it might be easier to build the system under linux.

As an altnerative to running linux under VMWare, look at colinux for a "lighter" solution.

Reply to
David Brown

VPC is horrible, and offers no real support for USB. VMWare can support most, but not all, USB emulators and IDEs.

I can't advise you on the other items, but USB support for your particular emulator (JTAG/debug interface) needs to be an early consideration. It can save you hours of lost time to discover up front if it can work.

Samba is fine, but I often use FTP for copying a couple small files. That saves me the hassle of setting up Samba.

Reply to
Eric