is there (can there be) a CPU board with multiple VME busses?

Hello, I am a software eng and I have a purely hardware question; hope that some hardware engs here can comment.

Does it exist now (or if not, does it make sense that someone will design) a CPU board with more than one VME bus? Thank you.

Mark Galeck

Reply to
Mark_Galeck

There may be such a thing, but it would certainly be oddball.

I don't believe that there is a VME specification for multiple busses in one box (someone will correct me soon enough if I'm wrong). Strictly speaking, if there isn't such a critter specified then what you are asking for isn't possible.

Tell us what you're trying to do, and perhaps someone will have sensible suggestions about how it could be achieved.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

There are, or at least were. That is what the "Bus-Instance" number specifies (zero would be a single-bus system):

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Mark

Has it been done? I don't know of any. Could it be done? I expect so. (Would it be standards compliant? I don't know.) Does it make sense? Not as a single PCB with VME pinout connectors that plug into a COTS motherboard(s). But a module? Maybe.

In the 90s I worked on a dual VME bus box that had several octal DSP boards with a hypercube serial port interconnect spanning the two VME sections. The application was a frequency domain beamformer. One VME bus had the bandwidth for input or output but not both, so two VMEs. OC-3 links brought data into and out of the box. The CPUs just set up the DSPs and IO cards, so CPU wasn't the scarce resource, but there were no COTS dual VME CPU PCBs or modules at the time.

Dale B. Dalrymple

dbd

One do get things like VME-VME bridges. This probably can be designed as a CPU board with two VME busses.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus