Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Hi folks,

Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Recently I am applying for an embedded design job. The company asked
me to fill "HireRight" forms online just after a 20 minute telephone
interview.

The following is a part of their email that they sent me. The words
they ask me to fill "HireRight" forms are:

The application takes approximately 20-30 minutes to fill out - we
recommend you collect the following information before you start:

 - Employers: start/end dates, job title/duties, supervisors, company
contact information (phone numbers, e-mail)
 - Education: dates, degree information
 - Residences: dates and addresses
 - Personal Information: date of birth, identification (Social
Security Number, driver's license number, visa number)

My question is: Shall I let them check my background before they
schedule a site interview?

Thanks,
Dick

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

I wouldn't.  But you're way off-topic at least in two of the three
newsgroups to which you cross-posted.

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Is the announcement "off-topic"  a real off topic post?

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?
[signature snipped]

No.  By convention, meta-discussions about topicality are considered
to be topical.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) snipped-for-privacy@mib.org  <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst
San Diego Supercomputer Center             <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst

They are the only things that are.

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

So you can not say "off topic" on a post of "off topic".

Where is Turing?

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?
[ snip ]
Italy. :-)

--
Joe Wright
Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Wearly?

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

This is normal information which virtually any employer worth working for
will ask for before offering you a job. Normally references won't be taken
up until they have decided they want you.
There is a privacy-destroying element to modern life. Unless you want fame
as a martyr, the best thing is to just accept it.
--
Free games and programming goodies.
http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

I have never been asked to give this information before being offered a
position.

I would never give this information before bring hired.

What country are you in ??

This is personal information that is not necessary to know if I can do
the job.

After being made an offer, I have been asked for a background check, but
I still got the job before they asked for it.

donald

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?
On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 17:09:46 -0600, in comp.lang.c , Donald

In the banking world, you'd never get a job. Current anti-fraud
legislation in the EU and US /requires/ your prospective employer to
carry out a background check before hiring you.

I suspect if you read the small print you'd find out you could be
fired w/s comp if the check failed but same diff, effectively.
--
Mark McIntyre

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

My employment contract says that I may be required to handle sensitive
material and that, should that occur, my continued employment is
conditional on my passing any required background checks.  If all
(or even most) of the work I do required them, background checks would
probably have been made a condition of the job offer.  If the hiring
process is fairly long, it would even make sense to start any required
background checks along with later rounds of interviewing so they're
finished before the final job offer is made.

All of these possibilities are still a long way from the OP's description
of being asked for background information *before the first interview*.

dave

--
Dave Vandervies                                   snipped-for-privacy@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
"Okay, if you don't see a need for them, great! Do whatever you do, without

At least for jobs involving national security, why would an employer
ask the candidate information that could be forged anyway ?

For such jobs discrete background inquiries are performed by the
"secret" police to check for contacts with foreign intelligence
organisations (such as CIA or KGB) or if the candidate conducts a life
style prone to blackmailing (such as large debts, gambling fever, use
of illegal drugs, illegal sexual activities etc.).

I don't thing that the questions answered by the candidate would be of
any value in these issues.

Paul

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

<snip>

In the UK they do ask a number of questions about your background that
they could find the answers to through other means. At least in part it
is to see if you tell them the truth about it. However, the employer
does not get to see the answers, only the vetting agency does.
--
Flash Gordon

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

That is not the same thing as before making you a conditional offer
which is what makes sense to me.

Most places you can be fired without cause anyway.  Job offers
typically don't have small print, but when you are hired the no-
disclosure/invention agreement can cover this too.  But does anyone
really expect to be kept on the payroll if they are not suitable for
the job?  I think we are just talking about *when* the background
check is to be done.

It is really a matter of safety for the company.  If they don't like
you before the interview, it is a lot harder for you to make trouble.
After offering a job you have more possibilities and after being
actually hired you can really give them trouble.  But many states make
it hard to sue an employer for letting you go regardless.  They can
really only be sued if they say bad things about you.

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

And this is exactly the lie down and die attitude that allows them to
do such invasive searches prior to an interview.

I once was asked for a huge amount of information prior to an
interview including *medical* info which is entirely illegal in the
US.  I said I would not give them medical info and pointed out that it
is illegal.  They then called me in for an interview without it.  So
clearly they were aware of the possible issues and were willing to
work with anyone who objected.  Likewise I did not give up any other
info *prior* to an offer with the understanding that an offer would be
conditional on a clean report.

That is the real reason they want the info *prior* to an interview.
Then if they don't like anything you don't even get called in and you
have no potential case for hiring discimination.  Once they make an
offer and withdraw it, you could pursue a case against them.

I have had the same concerns with drug tests which used to be done at
the interview rather than *after* you were hired.  My concern was
always about my rights to appeal the tests.  I know I don't use
illegal drugs.  I also know that *NO* biologial test is ever 100%
accurate.  So I want to be able to dispute the test result if it comes
back positive.  Likewise I want to be able to chalenge or at least
know about anything negative on an investigation.  You will never get
that if it is done *before* you get an offer.

So don't lay down for them when they want to invade your privacy and
take away your right to be informed of problems in an investigation.
Politely explain your concerns and let them make a decision if they
are going to lose a potential employee.  Trust me, I know that it
matters to them.

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Countries differ. In Britian if you go for a job through an agency you can
be expected to be asked national insurance number, date of birth for
certain, dates of past jobs, even medical history. If someone wants to make
a stand against this then I am not against it. In fact I would root for him.
But the average person just wants to feed his family.

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

No, you've got that wrong.  The average person just wants to put food on
his family.

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Why would a company need to know your *medical* history?  The rest of
the info is standard issue on the resume (CV).  I am not so familiar
with the NI number.  If it is used like the SS number here, it is
actually illegal to require you to give it out.  They used to use the
SS number as your drivers license number in Virginia, but they stopped
that when identity theft became and issue and they had always given
you an opt out where they would make up a number for you.

I *know* I am not the average person.  I am single and can afford to
be unemployed, both by not having dependants and by having plenty of
reserves.  Regardless, there are lots of jobs and I think it is
importan to not give up rights of privacy and the ability to dispute
an erroneous report.  When they get this report before they even call
you in for an interview, you will never have a chance to even know
that was why you were not called in.

Re: Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

It's only illegal for public agencies to require it, and even then there are
dozens of exceptions.  You have to give an SSN here to get a DL, period, and
your name has to match.  The law specifically allows that since the SSN is
only used to prevent fraudulently obtaining multiple licenses.

Most private companies can use your SSN for whatever they want, and most use
it as a customer identifier, which is why identity theft is so darn easy.  I
assume the NIN in the UK is headed in the same direction, though more slowly
due to marginally better privacy laws.  Just about the only exception in the
US is healthcare providers; HIPAA specifically prohibits them from using the
SSN for anything other than detecting fraud, and they can't print it
anywhere; this was after folks realized that having everyone's SSN in their
wallet (on their health insurance card) was a major contributor to identity
theft.  Too many people are perfectly happy giving out the number when asked
by any stranger, though, so it hasn't helped much.

What right to dispute or explanation?  "We have filled the position with
another candidate since the time of your application."  An employer can get
away with just about anything if they are smart enough not to tell you the
whole truth.  All you can do to get them back is go work for their
competitors...

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."