Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

http://www.raspberrypi.org /
http://twitter.com /#!/raspberry_pi

I can't help but think when you sell 10K pieces of an item at bargain basement
prices, (and in a single day), and in
advance of having the products, that there may be something very wrong.

They have entered into licensed manufacture partnerships with two British
companies, Premier Farnell and RS Components.
That means there has to be a dealer margin. If you can retail it at $25, then
how much did it cost wholesale?

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but am I one of the few sensing something
may be very wrong with this deal?

Have a look at what Tsvetan from Olimex said in a forum thread about it here:
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID47%48&PN=1

Anyone have insider information that what I am saying is completely off the mark?
Comments?

Of course, If I am off the mark, this will be more free advertising for them. :-)

Cheers Don...

========================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

The current version is $35,-. The $25,- version has been announced however.

petrus bitbyter

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

I see it as a cunning plan to wipe out M/soft and all those ancient PCs...

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

It certainly attacks some monopolistic behavior of both processor en
software giants. As it will not do Windows, it may even become a nail in the
MS-coffin. But the design is too light for serious processing power. I
merely expect it to become a component more or less like the microprocessor
started.

petrus bitbyter

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

I kinda doubt it -- Microsoft Windows 8 will run on ARM.  Maybe not the
particular one on the Raspberry Pi, but certainly on plenty of other
inexpensive, similar chips.

Right -- by the time you turn it into a "real PC" (display, hard drive,
keyboard, touchpad, battery, case) and add some profit margins, I think
you're largely back to at least the $250-$350 "cheap laptop" that are
already quite common.

The cool thing about the Raspberry Pi is that it's quite hackable and
that it can be cheap by virtue of the fact that most everyone already
has a spare keyboard/mouse sitting around, can use some LCD they already
have, etc.

---Joel

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

Now you get it!  The LCD as you call it is your TV, and who doesn't
have a keyboard and mouse left over from their Pentium days... opps,
they still market the Pentium in the low end machines.  As to the hard
drive, I've got three of them in my pocket and keep a 16GB one in my
computer bag.  I saw a 32GB one advertised for $27!  I don't remember
if the rPi will take a full size SD or if you need a micro.

Rick

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?
On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 12:44:21 -0800, Joel Koltner

 Show me where your "cheap laptop" (or any laptop practically) has gpio
header or a readily available jtag header.

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

That's why I said the "cool thing about hte Raspberry Pi is that it's
quite hackable."

On a standard laptop, though, it's no problem to find cheap
USB-connected GPIO cards if you like.

Debugging tools on a PC are good enough that you don't really need a
JTAG connector -- even for Kernel debugging, you just use a second PC
connected via an Ethernet or serial port link.

---Joel

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?
companies, Premier Farnell and RS Components.
how much did it cost wholesale?
may be very wrong with this deal?

Well, you have the "there has to be a dealer margin" bit wrong,
RS/Farnell are selling for more than $35, so their margin goes on top.

The product is real, and the idea is good, the only blind-spot is a closed and
single sourced chip - but others have/will do similar chips, so that will sort
over time, even if it means a new PCB design.
-jg

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?
companies, Premier Farnell and RS Components.
then how much did it cost wholesale?
something may be very wrong with this deal?
single sourced chip - but others have/will do similar chips, so that will sort
over time, even if it means a new PCB design.

What CPU chips aren't single sourced these days?  As to "closed", I
understand that Broadcom is releasing an I/O specification handbook
leaving only the GPU as "closed" and that is true for many similar
devices.

I'm not sure how much difference the "closed" part will make.  I think
most people use even open source tools as if they were closed source.
I'll never have a need or the ability to recompile Linux for any
platform.  But that doesn't mean I won't use a Linux enabled smart
phone or tablet or even design something to work with one.

Rick

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

Sure, but you are not shipping products pitched for open education.

You have to admit, trying to motivate people to learn, with only a subset of
information (and that still vaporware?) is rather self-defeating.

Will a manual sub-set be enough, when other devices have more information ?
Time will tell.

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

Are you being serious?  Do you really think the high school kids are
going to want to program the GPU?

That is the point.  The part they don't want to talk about is the last
part you would want to know about and likely couldn't do much with if
you had the docs.  When you say "other devices", what other devices
disclose full info on their GPUs?  I've been told this aspect is
pretty common.  Or maybe they were saying the drivers for the GPUs are
not open source.  Is this wrong?

Rick

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

Yes.

Why not ? Some students will want to do exactly that.
This is resource that is sitting on their desk, and they have paid for it.
Why limit this to High School kids ?

Note the info they have released, not only excludes the GPU, but is very thin on
any display interface options.

-jg

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

Why not?  That's your argument for why the rPi won't be a good
teaching tool?

I think you grossly overstate the significance of this aspect of the
board.

Rick

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

I've got to say that ISTM any bright kid is going to head straight for the GPU
as his/her first destination.

Boo

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

If you don't know how to program, the documentation for a modern GPU isn't
going to do you any good anyway, and it's quite enough to learn how to get
stuff on screen using SDL or something similar. There's some way from that
to writing a shader compiler.

If a kid starts taking an interest in banging on hardware there's no
shortage of dirt-cheap microcontroller boards to get them going in that
direction.

-a

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?
Which is true but does somewhat ignore the fact that the entire premise of the
RP is to support such interest.

Boo2

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

Via expansion boards, not of the RP itself.

-a

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

Whatever.  Goodbye.

Boo2

Re: Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

As I understand it, they are getting a good deal on Broadcom chips
because one of the main masterminds behind the Pi works high up in
Broadcom.  It's not that they are getting the chips sub-cost -
apparently Broadcom is happy to supply them indefinitely at the price
they pay.  It's just that normally Broadcom wouldn't even bother
replying to an inquiry about only 10K pieces.

I believe Broadcom see the whole thing as a bit of advertisement - and I
hope this means that they will use it towards making parts available in
smaller quantities to smaller developers.

There is a big difference - /you/ may not bother with re-compiling
Linux, but other people do.  Being open means that there is already a
wide range of software, and multiple Linux distributions, available for
the Pi.  It means that some student somewhere can hack xmbc so that you
get an advanced media player on your Pi for free - rather than having to
wait for some commercial company to develop one and sell you it at a
high price.  You are right that most people use their software
pre-compiled, and don't immediately benefit from having access to the
source code.  But they /do/ benefit greatly from others having access to
the source code.

Site Timeline