Is it possible to put 2 ethernet phys back to back ?

Hi,

I need to get 100-BASETX ethernet through a slipring which cannot handle the signals directly. I was wondering whether it would be feasable to put a ethernet PHY on one side, which converts the signal to 4 bits in each direction at 25MHz, and then use another PHY on the other side to convert it back into an ethernet signal ?

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

If you have access to the center of rotation,

Regards, Ken

Reply to
Ken Asbury

No the center must be open for other things. No way to fit an RF or optical slipring.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

No.

The PHY sources the clock for both directions on the MII interface; you would need to build a magic data phase re-correlator.

You could try running the ethernet over the slipring. The spec allows for 1/2" of cable to be "non twisted" at both sides of each connector, so you might get away with it. You may be surprised as to how robust the signal is. And you can slow it down to 10Mbps.

Failing that, you can try to use WiFi or ZigBee to get the data out of your enclosure.

GH

Reply to
ghelbig