Is it possible to program PLC's with C?

Hey Guys:

I am a hobbist C programmer and I was wondering
if it was possible to program PLC's with ansi C, and if so
any suggested books or links...

Thanks

Pat Cavanagh
snipped-for-privacy@eatlink.ca

Re: Is it possible to program PLC's with C?

The answer is definitely maybe possible.

Who are the makers?
Where are you buying it from?
What brand of PLC?
Which favor of microcontroller?
How much do you want to spend?

Re: Is it possible to program PLC's with C?

Yes, there are PLC's that can be programmed in C. But I'm too
lazy now to google them up. Of course, these aren't really
traditional PLC's anymore, since they don't use ladder
diagrams or other traditional PLC programming methods.

What you want is probably a ready-to-use controller with
easy to use inputs and (relay) outputs of some sort.

You can also have a look at www.zworld.com who have a
reasonable variety of this kind of controllers.

--
Thanks,
Frank Bemelman

The C or assembler languages are usually used to write the firmware
for a PLC, but I haven't seen any, in which the application is done in
C.

However, if you are familiar with the Pascal or Modula programming
languages, you should quite quickly adapt to the Structured Text (ST)
language, which is part of the IEC 1131 (or 61131) environment. The
IEC 1131 environment is quite popular in various kinds of peripherals
and controllers from a large number of manufacturers.

Paul

Re: Is it possible to program PLC's with C?
Yes it is.

The PLC's made by my firm(a german firm) are programmable in IEC1131 - but
the american market don't like IEC1131 and so we've developed a PLC
programmable in C(there is an RTOS inside) and too - in UML.

If you want more informations -> please answer me in the newsgroup.

Greetings from Germany!
Ralf

Site Timeline