Is a capacitor needed in parallel a with freewheeling diode ?

It is standard practice to put a freewheeling/clamping diode in
parallel with an inductive load to clamp high voltage transients when
the inductive load is switched off abruptly.

I have seen some designs where a capacitor ( typically 10 to 100nF )
is also added in parallel with the clamping diode. Many designs,
however, do not have this capacitor.

What are the pro(s) and con(s) of having this capacitor ?

Regards

Oguz

Re: Is a capacitor needed in parallel a with freewheeling diode ?
On 1 Jul 2003 06:37:00 -0700, the renowned snipped-for-privacy@bipom.com (oguz)

It would reduce the dv/dt at the switching device, at the expense of
higher current at turn-on.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany