IR remote control decoder IC

Is there an IC that takes the output from an IR receiver module (e.g. Vishay
TSOP11xx) and decodes it, outputting the data bits via SPI/I2C? (signal
format is RC5). I've Googled for a while and haven't found anything yet.

I guess I could code up a small PIC to do the job, for instance, and that
would be an interesting project, but unfortunately time is tight
(familiar?!) and this is very much aside to the main work. So if there is an
off-the-shelf solution, or one that came close, it would be very welcome.

Many thanks,

Jim

Re: IR remote control decoder IC

Vishay
an
I had a similar problem earlier this year but couldn't find a suitable chip
and I ended up using, as you suggest a small PIC. There are various PIC
based RC5 decoders if you google for them

    Andrew

Re: IR remote control decoder IC
I have used this one in the past (parallel out):
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/pip/SAA3049A_2.html

But as you can see, it has been discontinued. Maybe there are still simular
chips available. Or if it's a one-off product, you may be able to still
get one somewhere.

I think most TV's now use this approach, probably the reason why the above
chip is discontinued. I guess if you google for it, you can find ready to
go code for a PIC or AVR that does the job.

--
Stef

Re: IR remote control decoder IC

A PIC will be the smallest and cheapest solution - I doubt you will find a
ready-made chip as pretty
much every type of consumer product that uses IR will have a micro, which is
capable of doing the
decoding.

Re: IR remote control decoder IC

This functionality usually (these days) is integrated into system
controller ICs for consumer electronics. The only separate decoders
I've found are all microcontrollers being sold as dedicated decoders.
And they're EXPENSIVE. Try Celadon, for instance.

Re: IR remote control decoder IC
Vishay

Many thanks for your informed answers. I'll go the 8-pin PIC route with some
code from the web. Unfortunately my main uP is stretched as it is, otherwise
I can see that I should be doing the decoding on it, as has been suggested.

James

Re: IR remote control decoder IC

Vishay
an

AVR App Note 410 Describes an RC-5 decoder using an AVR

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/app_notes.asp?family_id60%7

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com

Thanks Ulf. That the most straight-forward explanation of RC-5 decoding I've
seen. Pretty simple isn't it? ;)

Jim

Re: IR remote control decoder IC

I've
Does not seem so hard to do.
I did take a closer look at the stuff, and doing it with a timer capture
register
would probably do as well.

--
Best Regards