iPOD shuffle

Interesting embedded design, most here probably could design the electronics in a few weeks, the packaging ,however, thats where it seem

99% of the design headaches are in a commerical product like this.

here is one torn apart

Just curious, does anyone here have the experience to make one of these? How would you go about it?

Reply to
joep

There's usually a fair number of headaches in the electronics too, particularly if you have want to

- maintain low power

- keep noise inaudible in the analog section in a tiny circuit

Building something like this would probably follow the 80/20 rule: you'd be "80%" of the way there in 20% of the time, while the final "20%" would take 80% of the time -- there's always a lot of minutiae in finalizing a consumer product that has to interface to the outside world, things like making sure it fails gracefully when the user pulls the USB port at any point in the transfer, and whatnot.

Otherwise, this would be a pretty straightforward exercise: build a set of tight specificati> Interesting embedded design, most here probably could design the

Reply to
OccamMan

"There's usually a fair number of headaches in the electronics too, particularly if you have want to

- maintain low power

- keep noise inaudible in the analog section in a tiny circuit"

I don't think so, its mostly a matter of selecting the best "system on a chip" and flash memory that is currently available from the semiconductor industry, Apple doesn't design that, so you get whatever specs the chips give you, the shuffle uses the STMP3550 which has MP3 decoder, usb controller, DSP,playlist manager, headphone amplifier and a variety of storage media support among other things.

"Otherwise, this would be a pretty straightforward exercise: build a set of tight specifications, select major parts (microcontroller, memory, battery, probably a codec), design a basic firmware architecture, start

building modules and testing... "

I was referring to the mechanical design, not the electrical....

Reply to
joep

If you believe that, you might have a promising career in the grocery bagging industry.

Get serious, and quit wasting people's time.

Reply to
Bryan Hackney

on

whatever

MP3

and

memory,

start

You seem a little cranky, perhaps its past your nap time, maybe try responding again tomorrow? Sleepy time

Reply to
joep

(goofed up quotes intact)

I am a little cranky and sleepy. You're right. And I was not really interested in the topic. I just like to inject a little sarcasm when I see something really wacky and/or misinformed.

Reply to
Bryan Hackney