interview preparation

hi people.
i have an interview for mid-level software engineer at a well-known
company which makes car audio and navigation. it has something to do
with firmware and windows ce.  they told me to come for a 45-minute
'software exam' in a group environment.

1.how do you suggest me to prepare for this kind of exam? any info
where i can find good interview questions & answers for c/c++ and
related sw topics or what kind of questions i'll be getting?

2.any idea if it's like a written exam or oral interview with a group
of engineers? my feeling it might be a screening exam for first
interview... any idea?

thanks!

Re: interview preparation

Bone up on your embedded specific coding stuff.  Volatile, interrupts,
const vs. ram, etc. I saw a really great article a year or so ago by
Ganssle in Embedded Systems Programming.  Talked about embedded
specific interview questions or something like that.

Some companies give you the typical C questionaire.  Stuff with
pointers to pointers, design a good sort, etc.  Stuff mid level folk
should nail well.  Some are trick questions to notice if you are
paying attention, so check your work.

The WinCE stuff - dunno.

Group interview?  Once I had one that was 4 people...put a code
fragment on the board and asked me what was wrong with it.  Not much
to prepare for, just make sure you look for error paths, uninitialized
stuff, etc.  Try to be the complete person.

Good luck.

Re: interview preparation

a four person group interview sounds like the want to see if they
think you will fit in, rather than how good you are.
You could just as easily 'fail' such an interview for being
too 'good' than for being crap.

tim

Re: interview preparation

Don't waste your time with them if they're using windoze ce.

Remove "HeadFromButt", before replying by email.

Re: interview preparation

So how'd the interview go?

Site Timeline