Interesting question on sci.engr.control

Title says it -- there's an interesting and on-topic question on the usually-moribund sci.engr.control. I'd love it if that group came to life again, so feel free to go look!

(I told the guy to post it there OR to comp.dsp -- I maybe should have mentioned cross-posting. Oh well.)

((And pardon me for spamming a bit. I hope it's for a good cause. If not, I could start hawking solutions manuals.))

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

So what was the question?

Eric Jacobsen Anchor Hill Communications

Eric Jacobsen

It pertained to modeling motors in the z domain. You could go look.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

That group seems to be 100% spam.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It used to be a good group. If you look at the dates, you'll see that it gets less spam than s.e.d -- it's just that it gets even less real traffic.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Yeah, like spam is the worst thing to post in a newsgroup! I'll take spam over a lot of the bickering crap that goes on here.

--

Rick
Reply to

With a cross-post to three groups, it's hard to know what you mean by "here". I don't know much about comp.dsp (I used to follow it, but most of the on-topic posts are over my head), but in comp.arch.embedded there is little in the way of "bickering crap" - /except/ when someone cross-posts to sci.electronics.design.

sci.electronics.design is a social network for retired or almost-retired heavily right-wing Americans who like to discuss their families, the state of their prostate glands, and how Obama has single-handedly worked to destroy the American way since before he was born. Other regular characters in the group include a few who stand up to the right wing "politicians" - posting the same arguments again and again, with all the stubbornness and effectiveness of a fly beating its head against a window (it makes absolutely no difference who is "right" or who has the facts on their side). Occasionally there will be a thread that is interesting or entertaining, and I've been known to join in sometimes too - if people are reasonably well-mannered, it's nice to discuss something non-technical sometimes.

On the side, sci.electronics.design has a small but useful proportion of technical electronics threads - and there are people (like Tim and Rick) who are knowledgeable, experienced and helpful who join in. There are also several regulars who combine roles - they are both highly skilled engineers, /and/ highly argumentative amateur politicians. Unfortunately, even those threads often end up swamped by people who seem to think that the aim of newsgroups is to think up new ways to call people "idiot".

(And yes, I know my post here is going to draw knee-jerk responses from certain s.e.d. regulars, calling me all sorts of things. But perhaps they will see that they would only be re-enforcing my point.)

As a comp.arch.embedded regular, I would greatly appreciate it if people did not cross-post between comp.arch.embedded and sci.electronics.design

- even when it is an on-topic post that touches both areas. If you look back through the history of c.a.e. at threads that got out of hand, or filled with bickering or insults, you will see that many of them were such cross-posts.

But I agree with Rick that real spam is not a problem in any of these groups - it is not hard to "kill" or "ignore" threads offering "solution manuals" for sale.

Reply to
David Brown

Got it in one!

It is some people's favorite word.

Not much chance of the "seeing" part. But maybe this will just pass under their RADAR.

Yeah, that's good advice. s.e.d should be quarantined. You can go back and forth, but should be inspected to make sure you don't cross contaminate.

Whoa! I'm not sure I remember what it feels like to have someone "agree" with me... :)

--

Rick
Reply to

You've been hanging out in s.e.d. too much, where we all disagree on principle. Or maybe comp.arch.fpga, were people can't understand enough of each others posts to agree :-)

Reply to
David Brown

Was trying to determine whether it was worth the time. The cry of the barker saying, "Come look behind the curtain!" with inadequate information of what might be found is usually not worth the trip.

Eric Jacobsen Anchor Hill Communications

Eric Jacobsen

Oh, but the barker is _me_, so that's different.

At any rate, it's a control newbie who's at the stage where you want to put theory into practice, and he's trying to figure out how to model motors to that end.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Hanging in s.e.d at all can be too much. Although I did get some really helpful advice from Joerg there... unless he is hanging out in rec.radio.amateur.equipment these days. I cross posted.

--

Rick
Reply to

Possibly both. He's certainly an s.e.d regular.

I still say, if you can't stand the heat in the s.e.d kitchen, go visit rec.crafts.metalworking. You'll come back with an appreciation for the courtesy and open-mindedness displayed by the folks on s.e.d (and a bigger kill file, too).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Op Wed, 19 Nov 2014 04:50:02 +0100 schreef John Larkin :

Seriously, get a better news server. aioe.org is free to use and free of spam. (Though, because of its connection restrictions, I'm using a relay to it.)

--
(Remove the obvious prefix to reply privately.)
Gemaakt met Opera's e-mailprogramma: http://www.opera.com/mail/