Intel's embedded Pentium kaput

How do you feel about Intel's discontinuing their Pentium chips for the embedded
market?

Am I alone in having expected these chips to be produced and sold at least a
couple of years more?

--
Ignacio G.T.

Re: Intel's embedded Pentium kaput
snipped-for-privacy@evomer.yahoo.es (Ignacio G.T.) wrote in

No loss. RISC are much easier to use. I'd never use an x86 arch. for
embedded.

--
- Mark ->
--

Re: Intel's embedded Pentium kaput
embedded

I wasn't aware they even marketed Pentium for "embedded" applications,
I thought the "embedded x86" idea was strictly created by system
integrators. Shows you how much they market it.

Re: Intel's embedded Pentium kaput
Where did you hear that Intel is discontinuing these embedded Pentiums?

Jim

embedded

Re: Intel's embedded Pentium kaput
Let's hope so, it's about time to buy them.

least

Re: Intel's embedded Pentium kaput

http://developer.intel.com/design/support/faq/embed_proces/pentium.htm

"The Embedded Intel Architecture division is announcing the discontinuance of
the Intel® embedded Pentium processor modules. Both the 133 MHz and 166 MHz
modules have been discontinued and will be unavailable for additional orders
after the Last Product Discontinuance Order Date. More information is available
in the embedded Pentium processor module homepage and within PCN 973, available
from the PCN Index."

Also:

http://developer.intel.com/design/pcn/Processors/D0104125.pdf

--
Ignacio G.T.

Re: Intel's embedded Pentium kaput

  The above are 'trailing edge' processors, and from what I read it is
the modules that are being discontinued.
  I doubt anyone would put 133/166Mhz x86 processors on a new product
design.

  For more modern embedded processors, this gives intel's embedded
lineup, which is not just x86 cores.  ( AMD is also chasing more
embedded business )

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20040601tech.htm?iid=ipp_embed_proc+hghlt_pr060104 &

http://developer.intel.com/products/embedded/index.htm

http://developer.intel.com/design/intarch/pentiumm/pentiumm.htm?iid=ipp_embed+proc_pmp &

http://developer.intel.com/design/embeddedpca/applicationsprocessors/302302.htm?iid=ipp_embed+proc_pxa270 &

On the last one, you can see what Intel calls Embedded lifetime, which
is 5 years from _introduction_.
( NB this is not 5 years from 'when you design it in' )

  This 5 years is longer than the typical consumer lifetime cycles, but
may still be too short for some embedded solutions - but that is the
designers call.

-jg

Site Timeline