Intel Kills Embedded Processors

Yes, something of a milestone...

Intel never moved into Flash, and indeed have done no new development on the 6" wafer devices, for nigh on 10 years.

So, as they say, the volumes have tapered off to the point of it no longer being ecconomic - I don't know anyone using OTP devices :)

It was a surprise this process lasted as long as it has.

There are truckloads of C51 vendors out there, (indeed, it seems to be gathering momentum recently) but the (very few) i960 and C196 users could be studying their options...

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Intel is out of the low- and mid-range embedded market after March,

2007. See Embedded.com story "Intel Bows Out" by Jack Ganssle at

~Dave~

Reply to
Dave

Even with http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:zwopVK10YkUJ:tinyurl.com/preview.php+requires-cookies-*-*-*+want-to-see-where-*-going+before-going-to-the-site

I hate TinyURL

?articleID=188500905

Reply to
jeffm_

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:zwopVK10YkUJ:tinyurl.com/preview.php+requires-cookies-*-*-*+want-to-see-where-*-going+before-going-to-the-site

?articleID=188500905

It seems Intel wanted to argue the semantics of this :

?articleID=188702219

The spokeswoman added that Intel is "not 'bowing out' of the embedded market at all. Embedded processors and chip sets continue to be an important and sizeable business for Intel, and one that we remain strongly committed to."

... but I don't think this new spin, actually means they will continue to make 87C51Fx's :)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Hey, you don't think it could be in any way related to this article, do you?

Naaaaaah...

Reply to
larwe

What a bunch of BS. A quote from the article, " Intel, of course, is one of those very few companies that never have laid off workers." I didnt realize that I quit on my own or was forced to quit in Jan of 1986. This was a lay off and it was the 1st in thier history.

Reply to
Greg Holdren

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:zwopVK10YkUJ:tinyurl.com/preview.php+requires-cookies-*-*-*+want-to-see-where-*-going+before-going-to-the-site

?articleID=188500905

?articleID=188702219

No spin, the author of the article simply did not have his facts straight. Jack said, "Intel, the greatest embedded processor company, will only offer Pentiums and Pentium-like CPUs for embedded apps." Perhaps this is true if you only consider the processors in their older product lines, (which is why they are being dropped). The company I am working for is using their embedded processors in our main products and just got a briefing on the new versions of this same processor. Doesn't anyone remember the StrongARM chips? They may be power houses but they are still embedded processors and are a main focus of the embedded processor group at Intel.

I think Intel is just acknowledging that 8 bit chips don't have much of a future and the older x86 parts are just too expensive to use for the relative performance. I think nearly every ARM MCU out there will outperform a 386 these days and many of the ARMs are under $5. How many 386 CPUs can they still be selling???

Reply to
rickman

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:zwopVK10YkUJ:tinyurl.com/preview.php+requires-cookies-*-*-*+want-to-see-where-*-going+before-going-to-the-site

?articleID=188500905

?articleID=188702219

But Intel is trying to dump the Xscale (StrongArm) division.

Alan Nishioka

Reply to
Alan Nishioka

StrongARM and XScale != ARM in general (and Intel is trying to divest the SA stuff as well, BTW).

Intel's announcement means they have essentially given up on realtime control applications and all the high-volume, low-margin fields like whitegoods; they're catering primarily to PCs, PDAs and PC peripherals (routers, etc).

Reply to
larwe