Intel Flash Series 2 - Exchangeable Card Architecture

I have a system that uses "Intel Flash Series 2 - 10 MByte Memory
Cards, Exchangeable Card Architecture" for storage. I need to access
the files stored on these cards. When I removed them from the system
and plugged them into my laptop, Windows XP recognized the addition of
but didn't recognize the hard ware and asked for a driver.

I was hoping somebody remembered or knows how I read these using a PC.

One of the things I need to do is to reset the system administrator's
password.

Thanks,
Derek

Re: Intel Flash Series 2 - Exchangeable Card Architecture
snipped-for-privacy@FrontierNet.net wrote in news:1115135443.311556.139960
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Does the system that uses the cards use a windows compatible file system
for the flash cards?

We use 20MB versions of the same cards and have no trouble with using
them under various windows versions from 95 to XP.

If no file system, or no compatible file system is used on the cards,
then a product such as Elan Memory Card Explorer will still allow you to
do a binary copy of data to and from the card.  It also comes with
support to embed the access of the cards into your own programs, allowing
you to write custom programs to read and write cards without using a file
system.  There are likely other similar products out there, that just
happens to be the one I am familiar with.

--
Richard

Re: Intel Flash Series 2 - Exchangeable Card Architecture
I was told that they used a FAT file system. I don't think the file
system type is a problem. Even if they had a foreign file system, and
Windows was able to mount the device, when I insert the cards windows
would tell me that they were corrupt or that they were unformatted and
put up the dialog box asking me if I wanted to format them.

When I serrt the cards the New Found Hardware dialog comes up. Do you
know if you might have installed something that might, unknowingly
installed the device drivers for these type of devices?

Thanks,
Derek

Re: Intel Flash Series 2 - Exchangeable Card Architecture
snipped-for-privacy@FrontierNet.net wrote in news:1115214820.788879.17780
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

The only two possibilities for that would be drivers that came with the
PCMCIA drive that was installed in the desktop system, or the Memory Card
Explorer program.  I don't honestly know.

--
Richard

Re: Intel Flash Series 2 - Exchangeable Card Architecture
Contact M-Systems and see if they have a version of FTL (flash
translation layer) that's Windows XP-compliant. Or use Windows 95,
which (if my shaky memory is correct) includes an optional install of
FTL on the CD:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Windows+M-Systems+FTL

Brian Dipert
Technical Editor: Mass Storage, Multimedia (audio, displays, 2-D and 3-D
graphics, and still and video imaging), PC Core Logic and Peripherals
EDN Magazine: http://www.edn.com
My blog: http://www.edn.com/blog/400000040.html
5000 V Street
Sacramento, CA   95817
(916) 760-0159, fax (781) 734-8038
***REMOVE 'NOSPAM.' FROM EMAIL ADDRESS TO REPLY***
mailto: snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.pacbell.net
Visit me at http://www.bdipert.com

Site Timeline