Intel Atom: pros/cons/hazzards?

No. I said you could modify and then not share it. By "share" I mean give/sell/whatever. When you sell a copy to a customer, you are sharing it, and the GPL places requirements on how that sharing is done. You can't share just the binary and refuse access to the source, share one, share both. Or share none, if you prefer -- you don't _have_ to share the modified program. But if you do share the object/binary you have to _also_ share source.

I didn't say you you were alloed to share binaries and not source. I

Yes.

Right. I said you can modify GPL code and not share it. That is true. What you can't do is share binaries and not share source.

That is correct.

What somebody said was that when you modify GPL code you are forced by the GPL to share it. That is not true. You are allowed to keep it completely to yourself if you want to.

--
Grant
Reply to

Yes. That seemed to be the meaning of "share" that I was replying to (at least that's how I understood it).

Exactly.

--
Grant
Reply to

The problem is that your replies don't directly address the questions asked frequently. You bring all sorts of things into the discussion that are either not directly relevant or the relevancy is not explained and more questions have to be asked to figure it out.

Yes, cheese will spoil if not kept cool, but it's not that delicate. A day or so in the post shouldn't cause any harm. My experience is that Priority mail gets anywhere in two days for a pretty low price.

--

Rick
Reply to

Bingo. That's why I rarely join in Don's threads, even though they often have interesting topics. Interesting minds wander far, so need extra discipline to keep focus. Focus more on reading carefully rather than writing, and it will be better for all of us.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Specific example, please?

Reply to
Don Y

No disrespect Don, but if you can't read back and figure it out, there's nothing I can do to explain it.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

HONESTLY, I see every reply I make as directly pertinent to the question/point being discussed. ANTiCIPATING the next round of questions. So, I really

*can't* figure it out!

So, I'll fall back on presenting questions as if homework problems and rely on people to offer suggestions WITHOUT FURTHER CLARIFICATION on my part. That should keep things short and to the point. Albeit leaving most folks in the dark as to my intentions and just evaluate suggestions "cold".

Reply to
Don Y

I assume people will CAREFULLY read my replies, ASSUME I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT and understand how my comments are intended to further qualify my statements.

It's really annoying to get met with "Why do you want to do that?" questions all the time. THEN, explain why and get dragged into a long discussion where I have to justify everything from the instant of my birth -- to bring the other party "up to speed" with my reasoning -- only to be met with inevitable silence: no answer to MY query.

Why am I investing time explaining myself? How about: "my boss told me to do it. He's bigger than me and I don't want to piss him off!" Would that suffice as suitable reason?

Why do I have to explain entire applications -- and why I am NOT doing it the way would have -- just to get an answer to a question? It's essentially, "let me see what you are doing because I am curious. And, in return I will give you... aggravation".

(There are two sides to these exchanges. You might want to reread some of them from MY point of view!)

Ain't gonna happen! :> The next will be the sixth in just about as many weeks. That's 30 hours in front of the stove! OTOH, I won't have to bake ANY of them over the holidays. I can bake a few HUNDRED dozen cookies in comparable time (satisfying a LOT of friends/colleagues/etc.)

Reply to
Don Y

I think that's the problem. E.g., if I said "Microsoft is sharing Windows" folks would look at me wondering what the f*** I was talking about? They wouldn't consider "share" to be "sell".

Similarly, if I said "I am sharing cookies with my neighbors", they wouldn't wonder how much I was SELLING them for.

Replace share with "distribute" would probably be less ambiguous to more folks.

Reply to
Don Y

That is the serial bit rate and does not determine the data throughput. I checked the manual and DMA is supported for the SPI bus, but it is not clear just what sorts of SPI devices would be usefully supported with it. They talk about DMA working with the SPI port, but again, it is not so clear on how it might be used in a real app. SPI is a standard with no standard and every device is used differently.

If you mean run the rPi port as slave, ain't happenin'. It is master only.

This would be very doable if the rPi would let you use a timer to control the DMA, then do the transfer one sample at a time on each timer tick... what? It *does* have something like this? Well,

*something*... I can't tell how to make it all work, but the bits are there. The DMA with SPI is a bit odd.

What is important is to trip off the actual SPI transfer on a regular time period. Even using DMA, a timer would only schedule the bus request and some time would elapse waiting to make the memory access to the SPI port.

Hmmm... I've been reading the peripherals document for a couple of days now and just realized there are two different types of SPI ports... go figure.

If you only want to use a single CODEC. I2S is specialized for audio but it only supports two channels max.

Yes, it just gets worse and worse. Ever consider going with Thunderbird and eternal.september? It's all free and relatively easy.

--

Rick
Reply to

Sure, but they could have done it cheaper and better by purchasing an existing home monitoring or security company. Knowing the temperature of your house or whether it's on fire using a thermometer and smoke alarm does not produce very useful or sellable demographics.

Welcome to the 21st century, where privacy is the common medium of exchange: You want free searches and email? Say goodbye to privacy. You want a common payment system? Say goodbye to privacy. You want law and order? Say goodbye to privacy. You want to be safe from evil people like me? Say goodbye to privacy? You want useful data about your customers? Say goodbye to privacy? You want to be nosey and look into what's going on behind celebrity and public officials lives? Say goodbye to their privacy. You want home energy monitoring? Say goodbye to privacy. You want government services? Say goodbye to privacy. You want to be protected from everything? Say goodbye to privacy.

It really doesn't matter what services you want, it's going to cost you some privacy. For example, you can get lower auto insurance rates, but only if the insurance company knows where and how you are driving. If you want someone to unlock your car when you lock your keys in the ignition (for the 10th time), the telematics company will need to know everything about your driving.

I stupidly gave Google my cell phone number as part of their two part login authentication scheme. I realized my mistake in about 10 minutes, when the first SMS spam message arrived. It took me another

10 minutes to figure out how to delete the phone number, but it was too late. I was getting SMS spam for about 2 weeks, when it slowly went away. Whew.

I'm not too worried about Google leaking my personal info all over the place. It's their "trusted partners" that leak badly and abuse the data. I have a few tricks to help track the source of my email spam. Some comes via Google leaks, but most of it seems to be coming from my online purchases from smaller vendors.

Deja Vu for me here. Once upon a time, in the early 1980's, I did some consulting for a company that was trying to put together the "wired kitchen". All the appliances were to talk to each other over a common fiber optic bus (for electrical isolation, not speed) and a mythical common protocol. The idea was to automate many of the non-cooking kitchen functions, such as inventory control, purchasing, recipe delivery, expiration monitoring, cost accounting, etc. It went as far as a mockup and some marketing research in a fairly affluent area. The customer consensus was unanimous. Nobody wanted it at any price. If Google wants to get a foothold into the kitchen, it's going to take more than offering environmental monitoring and calorie counting (i.e. monitoring your eating habits).

It's really a granularity problem. As long as no personally identifiable information is included, I don't care. If they report the spending habits of everyone in the Ben Lomond area, I don't care. If they disclose the spending habits of everyone within 2 hours of where I live, I'll be rather irate. The dividing line between demographic reports, and personally identifiable reports tends to be a moving target, but as long as it's not too personal, I don't care.

83.2% of all statistics are wrong.

That would be about 20 years ago and the government war on cash, er... drugs. My late step mother was one of those who just couldn't figure out how to operate a checkbook or credit card. Whenever possible, she had someone else do such things for her, or she would use cash. One day, I get a phone call announcing that she had been detained at the LAX airport for something unspecified. It turns out that she was flying to Canada to visit her sister and paid cash for the airplane ticket. To the authorities, that made her a drug smuggler, courier, or something. The problem was that she had enough cash on her for the return trip, and for about 2 weeks of modest tourism in Canada. They wanted to confiscate all the money as the proceeds from a drug deal. It took the personal visits to the airport from several attorneys and calls from very influential officials to get her and her money released. So much for paying cash.

Yep. Even more scary is that the sum total of everything I own, all the money I have saved, and all the negotiable paper I have, is really nothing more than a few coulombs of charge in memory, or a few pico gauss of magnetic domains on a hard disk, stored in many faceless server farms, somewhere. It's a very fragile existence that we've come to, especially if we only exist in the cloud.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Home monitoring (services) are passe. Boring. Nest's thermostat *looks* cool! And, tells Google that the folks who are willing to shell out $300 for a thermostat are probably a bit more upscale than the folks who will settle for a $19.95 thermostat (that effectively does the same thing but with less potential energy savings)

I disagree. This is true *if* you rely on someone else to provide that service (on-going). OTOH, if the devices/mechanisms you use to get that service are entirely under your control, then nothing "leaks".

Do I really need to be connected to the internet to get a weather forecast? Can I get "good enough" data from a roof mounted "weather station"? Is knowing that the current RH *here* is X% "good enough" to determine how my heating/cooling patterns should be changed? Would it be much better if I got an "official" forecast from the NWS for the AIRPORT??

Do I really need Google to monitor my comings and goings to determine when the house will be unoccupied (and HVAC settings changed accordingly)? Can't I put that intelligence *in* the house and not share it with anyone -- and still get that "service"/functionality?

Do I need the phone company (or Google phone) to screen my incoming calls -- by providing THEM with the criteria that are important to me? Why can't I get that same service here, without disclosing any of my criteria to others?

We just don't give out phone numbers. Folks always have a seemingly valid reason for needing some information ("If we can WATCH you while you are viewing our TV, then you won't need an Ir remote to control the TV -- you can just wave your arms!" "Gee, great! Do you mind if I unplug this network cable...?"). But, there are usually alternatives that aren't as intrusive/insistent.

It's not just leaking but *having*. Why do they "need" those things? (Answer: to sell them to others and make more money)

Charge me for my searches. I'll make FEWER of them (and you'll have less information about me! Ooops!)

I think attitudes are changing. Folks used to think automation was "never going to happen". I figure in another generation it will be nearly universal (in mid-upscale homes). Today's youth are enamored with their phones. And, damn near anything related (connected) to them!

You can always extrapolate data even from a single sample. E.g., "big numbers" tells Google's customers that folks who buy orange juice also tend to like to read People magazine. You show up at the checkout with a half of OJ and are delivered a coupon for an issue of People.

Sure, it may be a bad bet (this time). But, playing the big numbers, they realize they can sell more copies of the magazine by targeting folks with half's of OJ in their hands.

People who smoke are more likely to get lung cancer. People who buy matches are more likely to smoke. etc.

Yup. I used to pay my tuition in cash. (mid 70's a few $K per semester) Folks were very unhappy GIVING me the cash (bank) and ACCEPTING it!

"Is there something WRONG with this money??"

Used to be $10K sent a red flag to the feds. I think it may now be as little as $3K (I'd have to check with a neighbor in that business)

Reply to
Don Y

The discussion certainly was originally about an Atom board you were having trouble with. I suggested it might be more efficient for you to use Linux to figure out your problems, especially since using BSD apparently meant lots of kernel re-builds. You then basically told us how you couldn't use Linux because of the evil GPL, how it is not technically different from the BSD kernel, VxWorks, Windows, or QNX, and how everybody picks their OS for purely non-technical reasons.

It might have been a little better if you had emphasised that you thought "the market has decided that the GPL isn't the /only/ solution"

- the way you wrote it makes a clear implication that you felt the "market" had moved away from the GPL. (And I am not the only one who read it that way.)

But I think we can close this point, since everyone agrees on the completely obvious fact that different people pick different licenses for different reasons - it only looked like a point of contention because you had used rather an odd phrasing that made it appear you thought something different.

Reply to
David Brown

Try this recipe for variety:

3 dl. cream 3 eggs, split 2.5 dl sugar 200g cream cheese (Philidelphia, or something like that) 12 digestive biscuits

Crush 6 biscuits and put in the bottom of a buttered cake pan.

Whip the egg whites stiff in a mixer, then slowly add the sugar. Move the egg white and sugar mix into a large bowl.

Whip the cream, and put it into the same bowl.

Mix the egg yolks and the cream cheese until smooth, and add to the bowl.

Carefully mix everything together - don't stir hard or you will lose the air.

Pour the mix on top of the biscuits.

Crush the other 6 biscuits and spread them carefully on the top of the cake.

Put it in the freezer overnight.

Then you get a fantastic ice-cream cheesecake, and no cooking involved :-)

Reply to
David Brown

Apparently, the two aspects of my cheesecake that appeal to people are (I don't eat the stuff):

- it is very light (only 1 pound of cream cheese in a 9x13 pan)

- the fact that it uses *pineapple* for it's "fruit flavor" (instead of cherries, strawberries, etc.)

Thanks for the offer but I really don't want anything *else* to make that folks might enjoy. The appeal of cookies is I can bake (almost exactly) 100 dozen in the time I spend at the stove for *one* cheesecake!

Cheesecake yields 24 *tiny* pieces... 18 modest pieces... or

*6* "That's-the-size-you-should-cut-for-me" pieces. I'd obviously prefer to spend that same amount of time "satisfying" 100 people (a dozen cookies each?) than 6-24!

By getting these baked *now* (instead of during the holiday season when every day "counts" towards a deadline), I can spend less time during that period (I spend the last quarter of each year updating equipment, etc. Doing this WHILE also baking is taxing)

Reply to
Don Y

There's an argument that Google can sell the aggregate information to the electricity companies so they can forecast demand.

That's a plausible argument, gGiven the money involved, the margins on power station efficiency, the possibility of power cuts during peak loads. But I don't know whether the argument is true.

There is probably money to be made in knowing when it is worth pumping an advert into your home.

Agreed.

Having an email address of myname+ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com is a useful trick.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Let me try to translate the ingredients...

--

Rick
Reply to

Despite being Scottish, I've never been good at imperial measures. Inches are all right, but how can one possibly use a "cup" as a unit of measure? I've got cups of all different sizes - and no doubt an American "cup" is twice that of a British cup...

The yolks get used later, mixed with the cheese. You can't whip eggs with the yolk in it.

Digestive biscuits are a traditional type of biscuit (or "cookie" in American) that we've had in the UK for a few hundred years or so. They are fairly rough wholewheat, and crumble easily. But you can use anything you like that will give a biscuit crumb top and bottom to the cheesecake.

Note that the eggs don't get cooked - if you live in a country where you have a risk of salmonella in eggs, then don't let very small kids (under two years) eat it.

Reply to
David Brown

Obviously, a cup is a standardized unit of measure. As are a teaspoon, tablespoon, pinch, dash, smidge, etc.

What is silly about using a volumetric means is "a cup of sugar" vs. a "cup of milk" vs. "cup of walnuts" vs. "cup of sliced almonds" vs. "cup of slivered almonds"...

I guess no worse than "an egg" as a unit of measure! What

*size* egg? Can you pick one of the BIGGER ones in the carton? Smaller? Weigh it??? What if the next carton doesn't have an egg that has the required mass?? [Many of my Rx's are very sensitive to the "egg volume" that is ACTUALLY present in teh mix]

OTOH, it is a lot easier (IMHO) to measure ingredients this way than to drag out a scale/balance...

"1C + 4T flour..."

In my case, the "crust" is flour+sugar+baking powder+butter. It is just used to keep the pineapple (which is on the BOTTOM) from sticking to the baking pan. There is an art to making the crust as thin as possible (as it doesn't contribute anything to the flavor)

Yup. I put raw eggs in some of my cake frostings -- as well as ALL of my ice cream Rx's (of course, they are COOKED when I make gelato). Some risks are worth taking!

Reply to
Don Y

"Royal Lunch" is what came to my mind.

I use crushed graham crackers in Hello Dollies (no idea what these are called traditionally: graham crackers in melted butter for crust; condensed milk (Eagle) w/ walnuts, chocolate and coconut flakes (?) Terribly sweet but tastey -- given how obnoxious the ingredients!

Reply to
Don Y