Intel 80C196 (newbie ?)

Is the 80C196 similar to the 8051 family ?

Thanks in advance,

Re: Intel 80C196 (newbie ?)

Not really. The 96 family is not a Harvard architecture and also has no
accumulator.

Re: Intel 80C196 (newbie ?)
On 3 Dec 2003 18:04:43 -0800, el_squid_ snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Slavko

It depends on what you mean by similar.  In the sense that they are
microcontrollers with some primitive on-chip peripherals and memory,
yes.  From almost any other point of view, no.

The '96 and '196 series are 16-bit microcontrollers.  They can do
operations on 16-bit registers, like add, subtract, and, or, in a
single instruction.  There is a single 64K address space, not
different spaces like code, data, internal data, external data,
special function registers.

The first 100 hex (256) bytes is register RAM, some addresses are
taken up by memory-mapped I/O, but the rest are all registers.  Any
address can be an 8-bit register, and two successive registers
starting at an even address can be a 16-bit register.

Some of its instructions are three address instructions (like ARM),
that is you can code something like:

   add var1, var2, var3

...and the contents of var2 and var3 will be added together and the
result stored directly in var1, without overwriting either of the
input operands.

The family is still used in some high-volume automotive applications,
but its life is limited.  Unlike the 8051, no other manufacturer ever
produced compatible parts.  The last I can remember Intel introducing
a new member of the family was about 8 years ago.  Since then they
occasionally discontinue individual family members as demand drops
off.

Today there are 8-bit microcontrollers that will run rings around it,
and 16 bit controllers that will leave it in the dust.  I would not
recommend it for any new designs.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

In any case since Itel is letting it die on the vine I agree with the
others, I wouldn't use it on a new design.  Too bad it's a nice
architecture in some ways.

--
" 'Freedom' has no meaning of itself.  There are always restrictions,
be they legal, genetic, or physical.  If you don't believe me, try to

I agree about not using it in a new design, the 8096 is about 20 years old
now.  (I got the preliminary data books for it back in 1981.)    The 8096
was used in BMW engine controllers from around 1992 to 1996.

I am quite sure that Siemens produced some 8096 based processors as I have
seen them in BMW engine controllers.

Re: Intel 80C196 (newbie ?)
snipped-for-privacy@devnull.net says...
IBM did as well.  I remember trying to get information on them.  I never
did have any success.  Also I remember seeing a note that someone in Asia
(found the reference, Macronix) had licensed it.

Robert

Re: Intel 80C196 (newbie ?)
Correction: Siemens never produced 8096 / 80196 microcontrollers but
the C166 family from Siemens / Infineon now is a major step forward
from the x96

Cheers, Schwob

Re: Intel 80C196 (newbie ?)
"Slavko Vorkapitch" wrote ...

They both originated at Intel, and the 196 core came after
the C51, but there the similarities end.

The 196 is a 16 bit register-register architecture. IIRC the
opcodes allowed 256 register-pages.

The 196 is still in production, but never made it into FLASH
process, so is not  'for new designs'

The slightly later, and 'similar market space' Infineon C166 family
did make it into FLASH.

-jg

Site Timeline