Intel 386EXTC boot up

 I have a PCB that has a 512Kbits flash with Intel 386EXTC processor.
I am trying to test my PCB by hooking up the data and address lines on
logic analyzer and writing simple JMP (short) instruction in 386
assembly language. I know that since my UCS is connected to CS of
Flash, processor will go to FFF0h address of Flash and execute the
instruction present at FFF0h. My Flash contains  these simple
instructions:

ADD      Opcode
FFF0      EBh (opcode for short jump that takes 8 bit(here
05h)dispalcement)
FFF1      05h
FFF2      00h
FFF3      00h
FFF4      00h
FFF5      00h
FFF6      EBh
FFF7      03h

On logic analyzer, I should see FFF5 afetr FFF0/FFF1. Instead, all I
see is addresses being incremented sequentially with whatever data is
present on the different locations ie I see EB,05 etc on data bus but
processor is not executing the instructions. I have tried other
instructions too, like NOP and HLT but can't seem to make my processor
do what it is asked to do. Can some one suggest what the problem may
be and how can I fix it?
Thanks

learner

Re: Intel 386EXTC boot up

The 386EX prefetches instruction bytes ahead of the execution.  It might
well fetch five bytes after the jump instruction, which are then discarded
when it restarts fetching from the jump destination.  If it also fetches
sequentially long after a longer jump, such as EBh 80h, the CPU, might not
be reading the flash bytes correctly.  Check that you pull BS8# low if your
flash is 8-bit.

Karl Olsen

Re: Intel 386EXTC boot up
in comp.arch.embedded:

One of the first things I always used to do to check the memory bus on
a new board was to jump the wait line active (or the ready line
inactive), so I could stall the processor on the very first
instruction fetch out of reset.

On old Z80 designs, I could verify the MI, MREQ, and RD signals, and 0
on all the address lines, and also verify the binary pattern of the
first instruction word on the data lines.  That was always 0xF3 on my
boards, because the first instruction in the code was always a DI,
disable interrupts.

Also note that on 32 bit x86 processors, the first instruction should
be a far jump with 16-bit segment and 16-bit offset, because most of
them actually set the internal segment base address to something
strange.  It should be a jump to F000:xxxx.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com