Installing a JTAG interface under Ubuntu

I'm about 1/5 in terms of being a Linux guru, trying to install a Segger
JTAG interface on an x86 machine running Ubuntu 12.04LTS. The very first
step of the 'procedure in README.txt document from the download tarball has
stopped me dead, the very first instruction is to enter apt-get -update on
the command line.  I entered:

sudo apt-get -update <password>, and get the following error:

E: command line option 'p' [from -update] is not known.

Are there more effective instructions anywhere about installing this
interface? If it was Win7, the entire operation would proceed seamlessly and
trouble-free. Please, no comments on the obvious.... :-/

Is this just my ignorance, or do others have a similar problem with this
device?

Re: Installing a JTAG interface under Ubuntu
Try it without the dash.

sudo apt-get update

Andy

Re: Installing a JTAG interface under Ubuntu

Yes. Just for info, there are several general forms that command
arguments take. I don't think there are any universal rules, but "-"
variants are often used for single letter commands. What happened to you
is that apt-get tried to interprete "-update" as a combination of single
letter commands, like

apt-get -u -p -d -a -t -e

A bit like you can extract a file with

   tar -xzf file.tar.gz

or

   tar -x -z -f file.tar.gz

There is evidently no -p option to apt-get so it barfed there.

--

John Devereux

Re: Installing a JTAG interface under Ubuntu

OMG, a typo in their instructions. What else might I come across  :-(

Thanks.

Re: Installing a JTAG interface under Ubuntu

try  'apt-get --help' or 'man apt-get' or 'info apt-get'
These give a list op 'commands' without a dash and 'options' with a dash.

--
Coos

CHForth, 16 bit DOS applications