Install Cygwin on Windows XP

I have installed the lastest Cygwin and I get the bash shell windows
installed ok. However from my home directory, when I did pwd, I see
that the home directory has been placed in /cygdrive/c/Documents and
Settings/peter

Now when I am installing GCC for the ARM processor, the configure
script has problem because of the spaces in the home directory
pathname.

Is there anyway to install cygwin to any other directory other than
under Documents and Settings?

Thanks

Re: Install Cygwin on Windows XP

Yes.  Around here it is on c:\cygwin\.  It is launched in its own
window with a pif file and a startup batch file, using 4dos as the
basic shell and starting bash.

--
"I'm a war president.  I make decisions here in the Oval Office
 in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." -         Bush.

Regards,

         Martin

Re: Install Cygwin on Windows XP

It's just your home directory that is under "My Documents", you can
change that by editing /etc/passwd. See the /etc/profile script to see
why your home directory was placed where it was.

-a

Re: Install Cygwin on Windows XP
[Note: F'up2 cut down --- should have been done by OP.]

You're mixing up the path cygwin itself is installed in with the path
it places your $HOME directory in.  The latter will be where XP has it
unless you tell it otherwise.  But that doesn't have any bearing on
where the former is (usually c:\cygwin).

The real problem is not the $HOME directory, anyway --- well, not
unless you're unpacking and building your source packages in $HOME,
which is easy to avoid.  The real problem is with XP's predefined
$TEMP and $TMP paths --- they're below "Documents and Settings", too,
and thus they'll contain spaces, and *that's* what breaks unwary
scripts.  To find the actual trouble, do

    env | grep 'Documents and'

and fix all paths this finds to get rid of spaces.

Ceterum censeo, the names "Program files" and "Documents and Settings"
were chosen by MSFT out of pure malice.  I fail to see how introducing
spaces into predefined system directory names could possibly have been
done for any reason other than to strike a blow at all tools using
command lines, which have relied on blanks as separators since days
long forgotten.

Re: Install Cygwin on Windows XP
Thanks everyone for your insightful comments.

I am using Windows XP and I am not sure where I can change the
environment variables that you mentioned. Is it under Control
Panel/System/Advanced/Environment Variables?

I have copied the GCC and BINUTILS packages to /usr/local directory in
Cygwin and building from there. I am getting the following error when
building binutils:

/bin/sh ../../binutils-20030901-1/binutils/../ylwrap ""
../../binutils-20030901-
1/binutils/arparse.y y.tab.c arparse.c y.tab.h arparse.h --  -d
-d: not found
make[3]: *** [arparse.c] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/binutils/binutils'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/binutils/binutils'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/binutils/binutils'
make: *** [all-binutils] Error 2

I dont know what is wrong with the above.

Thanks for your input

Re: Install Cygwin on Windows XP
[F'up2 cut down once more...]

[Re-wrapped the lines a bit...]

That's the symptoms you get if ./configure failed to find either yacc
or bison in the $PATH: between the "--" and the "-d" there's supposed
to be the name of your grammar generator.

Unless you have blanks even in your $PATH, this is not caused by
"Documents and Files" at all.  It's more likely being caused by you
having forgot to install the Cygwin package for bison.

Re: Install Cygwin on Windows XP
Hi Everyone:

Thanks for your insight and tips. I have gotten rid of the spaces in
the pathnames and now this command works. But now I am stuck with
making GCC where the error say something like 'What are you doing with
crtxxx file' when I was doing a make all.
I have posted the question in another message to the same newsgroup.
Please help if you can..

Again, thanks everyone for getting me further!