Install Cygwin on Windows XP

I have installed the lastest Cygwin and I get the bash shell windows installed ok. However from my home directory, when I did pwd, I see that the home directory has been placed in /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/peter

Now when I am installing GCC for the ARM processor, the configure script has problem because of the spaces in the home directory pathname.

Is there anyway to install cygwin to any other directory other than under Documents and Settings?

Thanks

Reply to
Dennis C

Yes. Around here it is on c:\cygwin\. It is launched in its own window with a pif file and a startup batch file, using 4dos as the basic shell and starting bash.

--
"I'm a war president.  I make decisions here in the Oval Office
 in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." -         Bush.

I think you was aked during installation, where it should be installed and where the package files should be on your hard disk !

Regards,

Martin

Reply to
Martin Maurer

It's just your home directory that is under "My Documents", you can change that by editing /etc/passwd. See the /etc/profile script to see why your home directory was placed where it was.

-a

Reply to
ammonton

You're mixing up the path cygwin itself is installed in with the path it places your $HOME directory in. The latter will be where XP has it unless you tell it otherwise. But that doesn't have any bearing on where the former is (usually c:\cygwin).

The real problem is not the $HOME directory, anyway --- well, not unless you're unpacking and building your source packages in $HOME, which is easy to avoid. The real problem is with XP's predefined $TEMP and $TMP paths --- they're below "Documents and Settings", too, and thus they'll contain spaces, and *that's* what breaks unwary scripts. To find the actual trouble, do

env | grep 'Documents and'

and fix all paths this finds to get rid of spaces.

Ceterum censeo, the names "Program files" and "Documents and Settings" were chosen by MSFT out of pure malice. I fail to see how introducing spaces into predefined system directory names could possibly have been done for any reason other than to strike a blow at all tools using command lines, which have relied on blanks as separators since days long forgotten.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Thanks everyone for your insightful comments.

I am using Windows XP and I am not sure where I can change the environment variables that you mentioned. Is it under Control Panel/System/Advanced/Environment Variables?

I have copied the GCC and BINUTILS packages to /usr/local directory in Cygwin and building from there. I am getting the following error when building binutils:

/bin/sh ../../binutils-20030901-1/binutils/../ylwrap "" ../../binutils-20030901-

1/binutils/arparse.y y.tab.c arparse.c y.tab.h arparse.h -- -d

-d: not found make[3]: *** [arparse.c] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/binutils/binutils' make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/binutils/binutils' make[1]: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/binutils/binutils' make: *** [all-binutils] Error 2

I dont know what is wrong with the above.

Thanks for your input

Reply to
Dennis C
[Re-wrapped the lines a bit...]

That's the symptoms you get if ./configure failed to find either yacc or bison in the $PATH: between the "--" and the "-d" there's supposed to be the name of your grammar generator.

Unless you have blanks even in your $PATH, this is not caused by "Documents and Files" at all. It's more likely being caused by you having forgot to install the Cygwin package for bison.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Hi Everyone:

Thanks for your insight and tips. I have gotten rid of the spaces in the pathnames and now this command works. But now I am stuck with making GCC where the error say something like 'What are you doing with crtxxx file' when I was doing a make all. I have posted the question in another message to the same newsgroup. Please help if you can..

Again, thanks everyone for getting me further!

Reply to
Dennis C