Infrared communication between a mobile phone and an 8051

What I am hoping to accomplish is to be able to connect the Nokia 6310i to
the 8051 microprocessor through the infrared connection.  What I need to do
is send AT commands to the mobile phone from the microprocessor.

I have an ACTiSYS IR100SL, that is supposed to implement the IrDA stack, up
to the IrCOMM level.  However, the device does not seem to connect to the
Nokia phone, and I am unsure about what I need to send through the RS232
serial port to have it connect.

I had hoped that I could just send the "AT" command, but I don't seem to get
a response from the phone, or any indication that it is connecting.

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.  In addition does
anyone know of a IrDA protocol stack that is available free for the 8051?

Re: Infrared communication between a mobile phone and an 8051
snipped-for-privacy@fake.com says...
Does your Nokia phone link to an IrCOMM device?  It might use a
different higher level protocol, OR a custom protocol that just uses the
PHY ans SiR layers.

I seem to recall that IrDA.ORG has a listing for :
"IrMC - specifications on how mobile telephony and communication devices
can exchange information. This includes phonebook, calendar, and message
data. Also how call control and real-time voice are handled (RTCON)
calendar"
Does the phone respond to AT commands?
Go to www.irda.org and look at the IrDA Lite spec.

                    Jim

Re: Infrared communication between a mobile phone and an 8051
do
up
the

I believe it links to an IrCOMM device.  Or at very least it should link to
the ACT-IR100SL, becuase it is listed as a compatible device on the ACTiSYS
webpage.  And I know that the 6310i is using a standard protocol (the 61xx
series used a custom I believe), because I am able to connect to the phone
using another IR device (Extended Systems).  The problem with the Extended
systems device is that it requires a windows driver that takes care of the
protocol stack, and creates a virtual comm port in windows.  The ACTiSYS
device is supposed to fully take care of that.  I believe the problem lies
in the fact that I cannot force the ACTiSYS to become the initiator of the
connection, it just sits there waiting for another device to contact it.
The Nokia phone does the same.

Thanks Jim.  I just took a look at it though, and it appears to reference AT
commands more than connection issues.  I really think this is a connection
issue that is probably rooted in the lower level of the IrDA protocol, but
I'm not entirely certain of that.  Maybe I'll have another look at it to see
if there's something else...

get

Definately.  When connected to a hyperterminal using the Extended Systems
device, windows creates a virtual comm port that I can connect to and send
AT commands that are recognized and executed.

8051?

Thanks again.  I'll take a look.  But nothing that's already implemented.  I
found one for the PICO, maybe I'll try my hand at porting to the 8051.

Re: Infrared communication between a mobile phone and an 8051
snipped-for-privacy@fake.com says...
Yes, that is a problem in some situations.  If both devices impliment
only the "Secondary Device" portion of the IrDA stack then they will
both just sit there.  Take a good look at the IrDA Lite papers on
irda.org  I think it may help out.  It has the info on what it takes to
do the minimum needed to be a primary and/or secondary device AND they
have the papers on on the IrCOMM layer too.

                            Jim

Re: Infrared communication between a mobile phone and an 8051
Hey, thanks again for all your help Jim.  Turns out the device we're trying
to use only implements the Secondary protocol on chip.  We needed the
ACTiSYS-IR100SLM (for master), which implements the Primary stack.  Thanks
for clearing a few things up for me.

Aaron.

ACTiSYS
61xx