Infrared communication between a mobile phone and an 8051

What I am hoping to accomplish is to be able to connect the Nokia 6310i to the 8051 microprocessor through the infrared connection. What I need to do is send AT commands to the mobile phone from the microprocessor.

I have an ACTiSYS IR100SL, that is supposed to implement the IrDA stack, up to the IrCOMM level. However, the device does not seem to connect to the Nokia phone, and I am unsure about what I need to send through the RS232 serial port to have it connect.

I had hoped that I could just send the "AT" command, but I don't seem to get a response from the phone, or any indication that it is connecting.

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated. In addition does anyone know of a IrDA protocol stack that is available free for the 8051?

Reply to
Aaron Wiens

Does your Nokia phone link to an IrCOMM device? It might use a different higher level protocol, OR a custom protocol that just uses the PHY ans SiR layers.

I seem to recall that IrDA.ORG has a listing for : "IrMC - specifications on how mobile telephony and communication devices can exchange information. This includes phonebook, calendar, and message data. Also how call control and real-time voice are handled (RTCON) calendar"

Does the phone respond to AT commands?

Go to

and look at the IrDA Lite spec.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

do

up

the

I believe it links to an IrCOMM device. Or at very least it should link to the ACT-IR100SL, becuase it is listed as a compatible device on the ACTiSYS webpage. And I know that the 6310i is using a standard protocol (the 61xx series used a custom I believe), because I am able to connect to the phone using another IR device (Extended Systems). The problem with the Extended systems device is that it requires a windows driver that takes care of the protocol stack, and creates a virtual comm port in windows. The ACTiSYS device is supposed to fully take care of that. I believe the problem lies in the fact that I cannot force the ACTiSYS to become the initiator of the connection, it just sits there waiting for another device to contact it. The Nokia phone does the same.

Thanks Jim. I just took a look at it though, and it appears to reference AT commands more than connection issues. I really think this is a connection issue that is probably rooted in the lower level of the IrDA protocol, but I'm not entirely certain of that. Maybe I'll have another look at it to see if there's something else...

get

Definately. When connected to a hyperterminal using the Extended Systems device, windows creates a virtual comm port that I can connect to and send AT commands that are recognized and executed.

8051?

Thanks again. I'll take a look. But nothing that's already implemented. I found one for the PICO, maybe I'll try my hand at porting to the 8051.

Reply to
Aaron Wiens

Yes, that is a problem in some situations. If both devices impliment only the "Secondary Device" portion of the IrDA stack then they will both just sit there. Take a good look at the IrDA Lite papers on irda.org I think it may help out. It has the info on what it takes to do the minimum needed to be a primary and/or secondary device AND they have the papers on on the IrCOMM layer too.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Hey, thanks again for all your help Jim. Turns out the device we're trying to use only implements the Secondary protocol on chip. We needed the ACTiSYS-IR100SLM (for master), which implements the Primary stack. Thanks for clearing a few things up for me.

Aaron.

ACTiSYS

61xx

phone