Info on CAN Protocol please

Hi - I am studying Engine Management systems and would like to know where I
could find help with programming for the CAN protocol. I would like to be
able to write an application via Windows for it - I am very grateful for any
clues on this subject.

regards
James Jenkins

Re: Info on CAN Protocol please
See http://www.can-cia.de/ for specs.

A simple way of writing CAN programs from a PC is to use an ISA card - such
as http://www.ccontrols.com/pdf/TD9905200DB.pdf .  This has a very simple to
program Phillips interface.

Regards,
Richard.

http://www.FreeRTOS.org

any

Re: Info on CAN Protocol please

Normally, it should be here:
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/buses/can/aboutus/index.html

However, it is seemingly being upgraded now, and the new version
is not yet available on the net.
Probably, the CiA can help you (there's a link on the above website).

You can also look at the data sheets and application notes about
common CAN controllers (like the Philips SJA1000), they also contain
some details about how CAN works.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Maß.

There are many CAN to PC interfaces available, many of which come with
a comprehensive API.  http://www.peak-system.com do a very nice USB to
CAN interface which is fairly cheap.

Andy

Re: Info on CAN Protocol please

any

thanks all - the pcan looks interesting but I wonder - how would this
connect up to the system on a car? - sorry for my ignorance.

thanks

Re: Info on CAN Protocol please
Most CAN interface cards use a 9 way D type.
Pin 2 is CAN_L and pin 7 in CAN_H.

You will need to buy or make an adaptor which has a 9 way D type on
one end and the appropriate connector on the other end.

Andy

Re: Info on CAN Protocol please

hi - and thanks. The systems I am trying to tap into are using a DL-16
adaptor - do you know anything about this?

regards

Re: Info on CAN Protocol please

Hi James,
if you want to talk 'via Windows' to CAN,
open your windows, for:
 http://www.port.de/engl/canprod/sw_linux.html
--

with best regards / mit freundlichen Grüßen

   Heinz-Jürgen Oertel