Info on CAN Protocol please

Hi - I am studying Engine Management systems and would like to know where I could find help with programming for the CAN protocol. I would like to be able to write an application via Windows for it - I am very grateful for any clues on this subject.

regards James Jenkins

Reply to
James

See

for specs.

A simple way of writing CAN programs from a PC is to use an ISA card - such as

This has a very simple to program Phillips interface.

Regards, Richard.

any

Reply to
Richard

James schrieb:

Normally, it should be here:

However, it is seemingly being upgraded now, and the new version is not yet available on the net. Probably, the CiA can help you (there's a link on the above website).

You can also look at the data sheets and application notes about common CAN controllers (like the Philips SJA1000), they also contain some details about how CAN works.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Maß.

The 'CAN in Automation' page that Richard specified is a good source of information. If you want full technical specifications for a particualar implmentation (such as J1939) you will have to buy them.

There are many CAN to PC interfaces available, many of which come with a comprehensive API.

do a very nice USB to CAN interface which is fairly cheap.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sinclair

any

thanks all - the pcan looks interesting but I wonder - how would this connect up to the system on a car? - sorry for my ignorance.

thanks

Reply to
James

Most CAN interface cards use a 9 way D type. Pin 2 is CAN_L and pin 7 in CAN_H.

You will need to buy or make an adaptor which has a 9 way D type on one end and the appropriate connector on the other end.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sinclair

Hi James, if you want to talk 'via Windows' to CAN, open your windows, for:

with best regards / mit freundlichen Grüßen

   Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Heinz-Jürgen Oertel

hi - and thanks. The systems I am trying to tap into are using a DL-16 adaptor - do you know anything about this?

regards

Reply to
James