Inexpensive USB (or RS-232) "terminal"

Used laptop: $30 Serial/USB cable: $5

What *I* want is a *monitor* plus keyboard that I can carry around (since I more often have to deal with "video" than serial ports (USB or otherwise)

Reply to
Don Y

That is a wonderful thing. Which phone do you have ?

While I have used a laptop for several years, I have a docking stations (23-24" monitor, full size keyboard and a real mouse) at the main usage places. I only use the lap top own display, keyboard and touch pad in emergency situations while traveling.

I have no interest in current smart phones, unless there are options for any decent human interfaces at the main operation places.

Reply to
upsidedown

It is a Nokia E7. It is the best phone now for many reasons:

  1. It is the last cellphone Nokia build with all bells and whistles to suck the money from customers wallet.

  1. Nokia is not cool anymore, so it was very cheap.

  2. Symbian is not cool anymore. So I have not to worry about virus, apple, google or other kind of gangster who are interested in my data.

  1. It has a good keyboard for writing email.

  2. It can share the internet connection with my laptop.

  1. It needs only 4h to delete and destroy every program that Nokia installs to steal data and other information from there customer.

There was only a little problem. It was not possible to switch it on first time without typing your private data. But when I wrote something like "f*ck yourself" it said f*ck yourself is not an acceptable adress. But f*ck snipped-for-privacy@ass.de was okay...

Hm..I think in these days it becomes harder and harder to buy a phone that is good for talking. :-o

Olaf

Reply to
Olaf Kaluza

Managed that only a few weeks ago at a phone shop where they actually had a section for simple voice and text phones and limited contact lists. I got one on PAYG as I only spend about 15 pounds a year on calls/text, new phone was 35 pound of which 10 pounds was the first balance topup so phone was only 25 pounds.

There was about a dozen models to choose from in a small railway station phone shop.

Advantage for me is when travelling I do not need anything fancy if I lose/break it not a big loss. Few people want to steal that sort of phone.

Model was Nokia E1300

    PC Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul

The I2C bus is used for DDC/EDID information. It may be very difficult, if not impossible, to tap into that. Your HDMI port may also support the CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) bus. This may be more friendly to hacking, but you'll need to conform to its 1-wire bidirectional protocol.

-- Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

Someone did it...

Olaf

Reply to
Olaf Kaluza

The I2C link is used for DDC/EDID information. It may be very difficult, if not impossible, to tap into that.

Your HDMI port may also support the CEC bus.(Consumer Electronic Control.) Using CEC commands may be easier, if you can use the same 1-wire bi-directional protocol.

-- Roberto Waltman

rwaltman