inexpensive operator interface (mini-terminal)

I'm trying to locate something for a customer to connect to
one of our SBC's.

Why can't I find an inexpensive operator interface?
You know, something like a mini-terminal with RS-232.

A squared away design where you can cut out a rectangiular hole
and drill 4 mounting holes and put it on a panel inside a NEMA
box or something. Not pretty, but inexpensive and useful.

(Not some PIC project, I have found most of them.
I have also found all the so called inexpensive PLC
oriented ones for $500. Not those either.)

--
Gary Peek                mailto: snipped-for-privacy@mycompanyname.com
Industrologic, Inc.      http://www.industrologic.com

How about

http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/631 /
http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/633 /

http://www.matrixorbital.com/product_info.php?pName=blk202agw

HTH,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: inexpensive operator interface (mini-terminal)
On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 20:40:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dave Hansen)

[...]

Sorry to followup my own post, but I forgot to clarify: I haven't used
any of these, and have no connection whatever with either company.
They just look like interesting parts.

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: inexpensive operator interface (mini-terminal)

How about a PDA? I used to use a Newton for this sort of thing, which
had RS232 built in, but you can probably get a palm pilot for $100,
write or contract the interface program, and mount it without too much
trouble. This way, you could have a nice, customized touch pad display
for your widget.

Actually, this isn't a bad product idea, for those who have the channel
to get it out there. Licensing the guts and OS from palm or whomever is
probably not a big deal, since they would make most of the money.

  Bob Monsen

Re: inexpensive operator interface (mini-terminal)
says...
The local home improvement big box has a "inventory control" system that
uses a Palm Pilot for the input device.  It is mounted inside the
enclosure, but if you look, just right, you can see the unit.  I have
seen ads in one of the trades where some Asian company has a Palm Pilot
rip off that is basically a PDA with none of the OS goodies installed,
along with some development tools to get it going, if I stumble across
the ad again I'll post a link here.

                                  Jim

Re: inexpensive operator interface (mini-terminal)

[...]

Which PDAs have still a serial interface?

Palm "Zire" don't:
http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj (20418)

"Please note that Palm Zire Handhelds DO NOT support serial (cabled)
connections to the computer."

What a pity.

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen (oliverbetz.de)

Re: inexpensive operator interface (mini-terminal)

Not enough demand, off the shelf PDA's/small laptops could be adapted
to do what you want.

Re: inexpensive operator interface (mini-terminal)
I have used Two Technologies a few years back and remember the smaller
units to be reasonable.

http://www.2t.com/index.htm

Randy Haas

Site Timeline