Inexpensive and small RTOS and TCP stack for Coldfire

Okay, I've got the classic dilemna here.  As of Friday, we have to
build something quickly that works well and costs little.  I have
to put together a software solution for a small quantity (300)
product using a Coldfire 5282.

It will sit between an IP network and a legacy serial interface,
converting from one to the other.  I have a couple of interrupt
drivers to write that have to respond in the 10-20 usec range.  For
cost reasons, the software footprint is restrained to the internal
5282 memory only (512k flash, 64k ram).

Netburner looks good, but $24.5k is way too steep for this
inexpensive product.  ThreadX and NetX are the same price.
RTXC Quadros is either free for a limited version, $17.5 or $31k.
Obviously the free version is attractive, but not sure it will do
what we need.  I'm looking at Sciopta right now.

Enough rambling.  Any opinions or ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Casey

Re: Inexpensive and small RTOS and TCP stack for Coldfire

If you are in the United States, engineers, fully burdened, cost your employer
somewhere between $100,000 and $250,000 per year.  That is counting taxes,
benefits, physical plant, electricity, support personnel, and what-have-you.

At those rates, $24K is somewhere between 1 and 3 man-months of effort.  (In
order to get that $100,000 per year figure, your engineer's salary has to be
somewhere SOUTH of $50K.  TYPICAL corporate overhead runs 105% to 110% of
salary.  Some places run higher.  Some places run MUCH higher.  Your management
can tell you the actual numbers for your company.)

Re: Inexpensive and small RTOS and TCP stack for Coldfire
John R. Strohm said...

Yeah, I know... this is not exactly a revelation.

Or I could just ask the other two guys that own the company.  We've
been friends for about 15 years now.  I'm a consultant, not an
employee.

I understand what you're saying, but this product won't fly if we
spend $24K.  That's $80 a copy for something that doesn't cost much
more than that.  It doesn't matter whether we spend it on tools or
on an engineer (me in this case, and I cost a fair amount).  If I
find a functional RTOS/IP solution that's a good bit less
expensive, we can build the product.  Otherwise we can't.  No
amount of lecturing changes that.

Casey

I started with nothing. I still have most of it.

Re: Inexpensive and small RTOS and TCP stack for Coldfire
says...
employer
management

Unlike you, however, any tools can be depreciated and most of their
cost recovered through reduction in the company's taxes.

--Gene

Re: Inexpensive and small RTOS and TCP stack for Coldfire
[.....]
Have you considered Nut/OS (www.ethernut.de)? It is simple, has small
memory footprint, its sources are pretty well commented and it's free
(BSD like licence). It is based on cooperative multitasking model but
IMO it shouldn't be a problem in your application. It runs on AVR's
although you should be able to port it to Coldfire in 4-5 days.

Regards,
/J.D.
--
Jan Dubiec, snipped-for-privacy@slackware.pl, mobile: +48 602 101787

Głęboka wiara wymaga płytkiego rozumu i nikłej wiedzy.

Re: Inexpensive and small RTOS and TCP stack for Coldfire
Jan Dubiec said...

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll take a look.

Casey

Re: Inexpensive and small RTOS and TCP stack for Coldfire

I missed this thread, so may be I'm a bit late.

Porting in 4-5 days may be possible, but Nut/OS is very much
8-bit oriented, producing a lot of overhead for 16/32 bit CPUs.

We've started porting Nut/OS to the ARM platform, which will
include removing the 8-bit dependancies, but this may take
weeks or months to become perfect. Anyway, there's an
increasing interest in a  Coldfire port. You may contact Erik
at lins dot de.

Regards,
Harald

--
For spam do not replace spamtrap with my name

Re: Inexpensive and small RTOS and TCP stack for Coldfire

Have you looked at the several canned solutions on the market for
serial-to-TCP?  A la XPort from Lantronix, Digi's version, or even
SitePlayer?  The first two are self-contained in an RJ-45 jack, are
programmable to translate your serial interface into TCP, dev kits are
in the $1000 range, and per-unit are <$50 Qty1.  SitePlayer's even
cheaper (8051-based, I believe), but may not be as configurable.

Re: Inexpensive and small RTOS and TCP stack for Coldfire
We paid about $US200 for the Lantronix XPort dev kit and $US50 for the
device itself. You don't even really need the dev kit, its easy enough to
add what little circuitry you do need. Good little device if all you need is
a serial to ethernet interface.

Re: Inexpensive and small RTOS and TCP stack for Coldfire

Try MicroC/OS-II www.ucos-ii.com.  I believe a production license is under
$3000.
It doesn't have a built-in stack but many are available, including OpenTCP,
www.opentcp.org.

There are Coldfire 5272 ports available on the ucos web site that are easily
adapted (if any changes are neeeded).

--
Scott
ExoTech R&D, Inc.

Re: Inexpensive and small RTOS and TCP stack for Coldfire

If you haven't already, you should check out CMX and their stack
(www.cmx.com). I haven't used their comm software, but I had a good
experience with the CMX RTOS a few years back. It could be configured
to be very small, was relatively inexpensive and the support was good.

Jim McGinnis

Re: Inexpensive and small RTOS and TCP stack for Coldfire
Jim McGinnis said...

Thanks, Jim.  I'm looking at it now.

Casey

Re: Inexpensive and small RTOS and TCP stack for Coldfire

The NetBurner modules are ~ $99.00 each at quantity > 100
This includes the S/W license. Could you use such a module?

Paul
(I work for NetBurner)

Re: Inexpensive and small RTOS and TCP stack for Coldfire
pbreed said...

Unfortunately, no.  I did look at your modules as a possible
solution, but unfortunately we have some hardware and cost
requirements that won't allow that approach.  Your module licensing
scheme is a good one and I hope it works for others.

Thanks for the suggestion and the disclosure.

Casey

Site Timeline