Incremental Programming of M29F010B

Hi folks,

the documentation of the chip says that I have to erase a block before programming. Well that is fine.

But, how about incremental programing of the blocks. Can I erase a chip first and the program a little bit like 100 bytes, and then later say after a couple of days, program a little more another 100 bytes and continue programming like this 100 bytes every two days until the block is full. In other words, erase once and then switch into programming mode, program the "not yet programmed" locations, switch into reading mode, and back at programing with out erasing.

Or do I have to erase and program the whole block while the chip is in the programming mode.

How can I incrementaly program a block?

Thanks,

TB

Reply to
Tosca Berisha

This seems to be a garden-variety standard Flash chip.

You can regard it so that the '0' bits are individually programmable, but '1' bits come wholesale only when the block is erased.

You can program any of the '1' bits to a '0' bit by just using the programming algorithm and writing the byte - there is no built-in requirement to program in blocks. The block write algorithm may be faster for big range programming, but you'll get the same programming result by programming each byte separately.

You have to write whole bytes, but that's OK as long as there are no '1' bits in the new byte and '0' bits in the same place in the old byte. I'm using this in my flash file system to mark blocks discarded and waiting erase.

HTH

--
Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

AFAIK, the block is the unit of "erasure", meaning, if you want to set "0"s to "1"s, you can only do it to an entire block at a time.

Rob

--
Robert Kaiser                     email: rkaiser AT sysgo DOT com
SYSGO AG                          http://www.elinos.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
invalid-see-sig

Did you read the previous paragraph in my post:

As far as I understand it, it was just said above.

--
Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tauno Voipio

Oops, You're right, sorry for the noise.

Rob