importing to the US for faulty repair

Hi All,

I have some small electronic modules returning to the US for repair ~ $10 each 30mm x 25mm x 5mm. The goods will be returning to Australia after repair.

About 1kpcs

What's the best way to get these to the repair /rework place in the US... and follow customs procedures correctly - to minimize delays?

Any suggestions / procedures I should follow or look out for?

Cost of freight is at my expense... no problem there.. Via DHL or UPS etc.

Thanks in Advance Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

There are procedures for doing what is known as temporary export specifically for repair that most countries operate. This does not speed up the procedure but stops you paying import/export duties multiple times on products.

Unfortunately the paperwork in each country is different.

This is often best handled by a freight forwarder, often it is difficult to sort via one way shippers like UPS, DHL etc.. They may have departments who can help.

To qualify it may HAVE to come back by same frieght forwarders to match up paperwork.

If you can stand the duty and the US company can stand the import duty on $10,000 value (1k pieces @ $10), just ship and accept duty payments.

There are international duty code references for types of export/import Temporary export is one of them.

You will need to track all serial numbers in and out and possibly withstand an audit on this to prove items were repaired or replaced with which serial numbers.

This is to show you are not abusing the system to avoid paying taxes/duty in either country.

    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul