Idiotic Specifications

The following is an extract from a RFQ I recently received:

I have a group of pdf files. I want authenticated users to be > able to search and view the files by certain criteria. There are > a few parent criteria that will need to associated with file data, > but most criteria values are already in the pdf files. The pdf > files must be encrypted and secure at all times, when housed in > the database, when searched for criteria, and when viewed by > users. A secure location online where users can log in, search > and then download or view the secure pdf files is preferable. > Users will not be permitted to save or distribute the pdf files, > although they may be allowed to print.

There are further idiocies, such as failure to specify OS.

CBFalconer

I bet they top post as well :-)

Michael Kellett

MK

No they don´t. They remove all contents from previous messages because they use Google.

Except the signature, they always keep it

Regards

Zara

Reply to
Zara

That should make for entertaining reading, nearly as good as reading a European directive.

have they never heard of PDF printers?

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

This is aparently independent of the OS. Pdf files can be created to be not printable. That they cannot be saved is dreaming.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Make sure that you print the secretly patented super-secret spy special attack squirrel secret-agent invisible security code onto each sheet of paper, so that any honorable photocopier or scanner will know its duty when presented with a print-out from one of these documents. Oh, and arm the cleaners.

A relatively innocent omission. Probably they didn't bother to mention it because they just assumed that *everybody* uses CP/M.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

They could have simplified the specs dramatically:

"Certain users should be allowed to read the pdf files, but they should not be able to read the pdf files."

--
espen
Reply to

I'd say those are not very unusual requirements. There is a number of web services for the document hosting which provide the access rights like that.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

How are they able to let the customers download a file to print it, and not be able to save it? How are they able to watch a file (in clear text), and not be copy it? Thats beyond me. If you can create such a system, I bet you get rich. It should be easy to create an obfuscated system preventing grandma from copying , but a somewhat computer literaded person?

Have you ever tried copy and paste from xpdf?

--
espen
Reply to

Open-source PDF viewers are not obliged to honor the "disable printing" bit.

For further details, contact Dmitri Skylarov.

Reply to
larwe
[...]

[...]

It doesn't matter how hard the data is kept, there is always a way to steal it. And every computer literate fool knows that.

The purpose of this document is the demonstration of the strict policy about handling the sensitive information.

The owners of the document access web systems are probably doing OK.

It should be easy to create an obfuscated system preventing

It does not matter. This is a legal document, which requires that all measures whatever possible should have taken.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

The last time I checked, there were password/encryption schemes that were are only available in Adobe Acrobat Reader (which honors the don't print, don't "cut/copy" bits).

Of course it's only a matter of time before the open-source viewers add support. Or until somebody hackes Adobe Acrobat Reader to disable the honoring of the various permission bits.

For all practical purposes: if it can be viewed, it can be printed, saved, edited, and copied. Anybody who pretends otherwise is deluded.

[Unless you only allow people to view it on a physically secure computer you've set up in a physically secure room you control.]
--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Used staples are good
                                  at               with SOY SAUCE!

Not at all unusual.

Just impossible.

They attempt to.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  PARDON me, am I
                                  at               speaking ENGLISH?

Yes. It didn't work for some of my documents. I fixed xpdf, now it works for all documents.

[It's beyond me why a vendor would provide an application note for a device containing lists of constants you are required to use in your source code and then not allow you to copy/paste the constants.]
--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My NOSE is NUMB!
                                  at

That's usually purely accidental - did you give them feedback so they could fix it ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

I probably should have, but I didn't.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  What's the MATTER
                                  at               Sid?... Is your BEVERAGE

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:05:29 -0600, Grant Edwards wrote (in article ):

It's been a long time since tech pubs people had a clue.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
 who have not got it."  - George Bernard Shaw

While working as a consultant doing low level stuff, you still must analyze the commercial viability of your customer's requirements, at least if you expect to receive your payment in time :-).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen