IDE Hardrive Interface for a 68030 based custom system questions

Hello !

The company I work for have decided to can their old SCII interface and
start using IDE instead. First question. Which is easier to interface ? Does
anyone know a good place where I can find some info about this ? What Chips
where used back in the old Machintosh days (68030) in the IDE interfaces ?

Help is greatly appreciated

/Otto Blomqvist

Re: IDE Hardrive Interface for a 68030 based custom system questions

Really old Macs used Zilog 8-bit SCSI interfaces. I'm pretty sure this
statement covers most of the 68K Macs. I think some of the later 040
models may have had NCR chips. Once they moved from NuBus to PCI, they
started using Adaptec IIRC.

Re: IDE Hardrive Interface for a 68030 based custom system questions

You must be kidding. IDE is *far* simpler, almost trivial.

I'd read the ATA-5 spec. of which a copy can be found at the www.t13.org.
With decent chip select control you should be able the '030 directly to the
IDE bus for PIO mode. DMA mode may not be possible without a support chip.

Re: IDE Hardrive Interface for a 68030 based custom system questions

I just realized that I didn't actually answer your QUESTION. Grrr. The
oldest Macs I have around the office run the IDE bus into a VLSI part
with a custom Apple part number.

Site Timeline