IC engineer or Embedded system software engineer?

What do you think of IC engineer or Embedded system software
engineer?Which one is more promising?Need to make a choice right now.

Thanks,

Ethan

Re: IC engineer or Embedded system software engineer?

Neither, pick something in the humanities
and leave a job for the rest of us....

Re: IC engineer or Embedded system software engineer?

As company ? For which application ?
As student ? Aiming at what ? Best salary, most chances, .. ?

Rene

Re: IC engineer or Embedded system software engineer?
Student. Want to search for a job and concentrate my study on it.Advice
for me?Which one is more promising?

Re: IC engineer or Embedded system software engineer?
Advice:  Don't plan your education with a "job" in mind.  What do you
like to do?  What are you good at?  A hardware designer vs a software
engineer.  While interrelated are very different fields and different
aptitudes are going to be better suited to one or the other.  Not to
say that a person couldn't do one or not the other, but certain
personalities and mannerisms make one more suitable over the other.

JW

Re: IC engineer or Embedded system software engineer?

Or could it be that the reverse is true, that you develop your
personality by doing one or the other?

You obviously need to have a general education in science as
the embedded devices interact with the physical environment.

Mechanics, optics, control theory, statistics are as useful
as techniques that you can acquire later.

Learning how to use tools such as an oscilloscope, a logic
states analyser, an emulator are useful to both if you want
to be able to investigate serious problems.

And now that compilers can implement algorithms in hardware
or in software, is there a difference;)

Re: IC engineer or Embedded system software engineer?
Perhaps.  From personal experience, "good" HW guys have a certain
personality.  As do the "good" SW guys.  As to what is cause or effect,
I dont' have an answer.  Personally, I can do HW design, but I am not
good at it.  I am much better at software, but I like it a lot better
too.

Definitely

Useful, but these can be picked up pretty quick if you have an adequate
background.  Does pay to learn at least the basic functionality of each
of these tools.  Everyone you use will have it's own unique quirks, but
the basics stay the same.

Fair enough.  The line is getting blurry, but each has it's own core
background that is uniquely different.

Re: IC engineer or Embedded system software engineer?
Thanks for your advices. I have some education background on both IC
design and Embedded system design. I just want to put more time on one
only and to be proficient at it.

If I like to become a system architect in the future, how do I make a
choice?Want to make an efficient career path and don't want to waste
time. I wasted some times before due to I am not sure what I will be
and how I need to do.

Thanks,

Re: IC engineer or Embedded system software engineer?

If you want to become a real system engineer, that's quite
challenging. Real system engineers must know about all
the sub systems in a system, and that can be mechanical
subsystems, hydraulic subsystems, electronics, software,
and also data analysis.

You need to have a working knowledge in all the fields, if
you want to be a competent one. You wouldn't work as one
directly after the university. You would work in each field.

Now you may speak about a system architect as one who specifies
and designs an electronics sub system both from the hardware
and the software point of view. As before you would need
to have a working knowledge of both fields. You have no
choice but to learn both, at least at the university, and
perhaps, after, you specialize more in one or the other.

Re: IC engineer or Embedded system software engineer?
Hello Lanarcam,

I got you. Thanks.

You have deep understanding on this field. What do you do ritht now?

Re: IC engineer or Embedded system software engineer?

Reading this interesting thread and also my best;)

You can find these information in any good book about
system engineering. This does not mean you will become
instantly a system engineer. I have met some and they
were really competent.

Re: IC engineer or Embedded system software engineer?
Lanarcam,

I got the direct information about the real life from you. Sometimes
there is a difference between books and the real life.:-) Thanks again.

Could you tell me how they can be really competent?Could you please
tell me about them briefly?I want to try my best to follow them.:-)

Re: IC engineer or Embedded system software engineer?

Both are out of reach for a student.
Embedded means knowing a lot about cpu architectures,
ASM, software, communication, sensors, whatever,
the IC stuff requires physics and such.

Rene

Re: IC engineer or Embedded system software engineer?

   Embedded was not out of reach for me and my KIM-1 when I was a
student. With the AVR's, PIC's, and free assemblers and compilers,
it's easier than ever.

<you-younguns-have-it-easy rant>
  Why, when I was in college I had to hand-assemble my own programs,
and enter them byte-by-byte on a hexadecimal keypad. You don't even
believe me!
</rant>

   Embedded can require some physics too.

   Embedded is like being a nurse, it's not too hard to get started
in, and it pays reasonably well. IC design is like being a doctor, it
requires more schooling, but pays more.

   But watch out for the competition - with "managed care" and HMO's
and such, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of doctors are getting into
IC design...

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

Re: IC engineer or Embedded system software engineer?

Depends on what you mean by promising. If you meant which is more
interesting, then pick the one that interests you.

If you meant which one pays better, then become a lawyer.

Site Timeline