IAR versus HEW (Renesas High-performance Embedded Workshop)

We have a middle-scale C project for embedded network device development, and I need to choose one IDE between the IAR and Renesas HEW. The MCU is Renesas RX62N, and RTOS is a small-footprint not-so- popular one.

Have anybody used both of these IDE before? What is your preference? Could you please let us know the main reason for your choice.

Thank you very much for sharing!

Reply to
Like2Learn

I have used both, but don't like to comment on preferences. However, if you download the FreeRTOS .zip file you will find RX62N projects that use both. The FreeRTOS projects can be used with free eval versions of HEW and IAR, so I would suggest you try both and find your own preference before making a decision.

Regards, Richard.

    Designed for Microcontrollers. More than 7000 downloads per month.

    Certified by T=DCV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems= =2E

Reply to
FreeRTOS info

In message , Like2Learn writes

Are you interested in the IDE or the compiler/debugger?

Chris H

I have used both IAR and HEW for Renesas M32, compiling pure C code (including a small kernel). This was a couple of years ago.

In a nutshell:

1) Both IDEs (and compilers) do a god job. 2) Code size is better with IAR compiler, probably because their libraries are better in this regard (if you don't use any standard C library, this is not an issue). 3) HEW is a better IDE when your target has more than one CPU and you want to debug them running in parallel.

BUT if I had to choose one of them for another processor, I'd test them again.

--
Ignacio G.T.
Reply to

No recent experience of IAR, but worked on a project for 18 months or so using Renesas M32C87, the usb emulator and ide based tools.

Good points:

  • Very good compiler, producing at times a single line of assembler per line of C

  • Free updates for the tools, with auto update utility

  • Ide good and easy to get productive, though as usual only using a fraction of capability.

  • Ide and toolchain didn't crash once and no bugs found.

Bad points:

  • Emulator screws into special adapter, soldered s/m, on pcb, which is expensive, quite fragile and not physically robust enough for the job. Whole assembly on pcb is top heavy and only held in place with the (100pin) surface mount adapter. Solution is to epoxy each corner of the adapter to the pcb and is essential to avoid tearing off the adapter with careless tug on usb or power connector cable etc.

  • Special s/m adapters mean that you have to get a small batch specially made from production, although pinout profile is the same as the processor.

  • Emulator is approx 800.00 ukp each, but tools free for download and evaluation.

  • Some docs can be difficult to find on the Renesas website

Other than the above, it just worked out of the box, there were no showstoppers at any stage and it got the job done. For an alternative gcc based toolchain, the Canadian company Kpit Cummins do an Eclipse toolchain for the full range of Renesas processors and are free, fwir.

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

tml

.

Thanks. I will read the links.

Reply to
Like2Learn

Good question. I think I prefer the compiler/debugger more than IDE itself.

Reply to
Like2Learn

r.

Good point. Thank you for sharing.

Reply to
Like2Learn

AFAIK KPIT Cummins were at least originally an Indian company. I used their SuperH toolchains on Windows for hobby projects many years ago (before they started distributing HEW), and they seemed to know what they were doing. They support registered users (registration is free), and when I reported a case of inefficient code generation they fixed it and pushed the change to upstream GCC.

-a

Reply to
Anders.Montonen

For several years (up until about two years ago) I used their H8 toolchain source releases (from which I build my own executables). They were definitely an Indian company, and they very definitely knew what they were doing.

I assumed they were either sponsored by Hitachi[1] or where heavy users of Hitachi processors, because they certainly never tried to get any money from me. Judging by the results, I would have guessed they had several people dedicated full time to maintenance of the Hitachi toolchains (H8 and SH).

[1] Despite the "merger" I never saw any indication that the Hitachi and Mitsubishi microcontroller groups worked together or even talked to each other. To me, they're still seperate operations.
--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I hope the
                                  at               ``Eurythmics'' practice

Definitely one of the better Indian companies. Their whois for kpitcummins.com/.org still lists India so does their gnuh8.com .

I do believe they were sponsored by Hitachi, may still be by Renesas that is from my recollection of limited conversations and emails with Hitachi guys in UK. Then some of the Hitachi guys at least knew of me as Grant would know.

That was my view as well

The R series Mitsubishi seems to be heavily pushed these days at the lower volume end, the H Hitachi series seem to be retreating even more to their high volume markets like automotive. As for SH Hitachi I see it less and less even being promoted, probably due to ARM/MiPS competition.

    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul