IAR v/s KEIL for 8051

Hi All,

I will be using 8051 based micro-controller for my project.
I want to choose C complier for it between Keil and IAR.
Anybody who has experience on these compilers please help me in doing this
and
share your experiences with these compilers. Let me also know any
benchmarks, comparisons
about the performances of these compilers.

Thank you.

Regards,
Shailendra

Re: IAR v/s KEIL for 8051
Keil is an welll-integrated toolkit.Now its name is uVersion 2.Once I
used SyncMOS 51 chipset to build a voice terminal. I think you can do
everything in Keil uVersion 2, coding, compiling, debugging, managing
your project file. There is one issue, when I use hardware emulator to
debug , I can't debug in source code level because all the source code
is invisible.

The performance of compiler, how to evaluate it? I think the code we
design decide the performances.Ineffective code causes poor
performance.

Maybe you can lookup 8051 microcontroller FAQ in www.faq.org, it
include detailed info.

Good luck

Re: IAR v/s KEIL for 8051

Keil is now uVision 3.  I highly recommend it.  The built-in simulator is
fantastic.

Scott

Re: IAR v/s KEIL for 8051
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:23:15 +0200, "Mehta Shailendrakumar"

I used a version of IAR back around 1990, and a version of Keil around
1999.  Based on that experience, I'd lean towards Keil, if given the
choice.  However, both products have advanced in the intervening
years, and I don't think you'll go much wrong by choosing either one.

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: IAR v/s KEIL for 8051

Both are well thought of. IAR are notorious for restrictions
such as; dongle required and a special code that takes a week to get,
you don't buy the IAR compiler, you buy the right to use it ... meaning
you can not resell it.

Keil is much less restricted and has put out a quality product for many
years.

Re: IAR v/s KEIL for 8051

I have used Keil for the past two years and am quite pleased with it. I
recommend spending the extra bucks and getting the uV3 IDE as well. I used
to use the Keil tool set with Silicon Labs' IDE and it didn't work as well.

Bob

Re: IAR v/s KEIL for 8051
My Keil came with a dongle :-(

Re: IAR v/s KEIL for 8051
On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 08:16:29 +0000 (UTC), "Bill Davy"

Five or six years ago, when I was using Keil 5.5, it did not have any
use prevention, er, I mean "copy protection", but I heard complaints
on usenet about the European version being dongled.  You are
apparently in England.

I don't know if the U.S. version is still dongle (and other
impediment) -free, but if it is, that would be more than enough to
recommend it above IAR, if IAR is dongled.  Version 5.5 was more than
"good enough," and I hear the newer versions are even better.

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: IAR v/s KEIL for 8051

I have version 7.50 (US) and there is no dongle or other impedimentia.

Very pleased with it, too...

Bob

Re: IAR v/s KEIL for 8051
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dave Hansen) wrote in news:42c545ae.670161500
@news.aioe.org:

The US version is still dongle free, and we have been extremely happy with
it for developing 8051 code.

--
Richard

Re: IAR v/s KEIL for 8051
Keil and IAR are great tools, but have you considered  alternatives?

http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/
http://www.dunfield.com/dks.htm
Dunfield 8051 Tools

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:23:15 +0200, "Mehta Shailendrakumar"

Re: IAR v/s KEIL for 8051
AntiSPAM snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

Not for serious work.

Keil recommend (or used to) this one for non-serious applications.

Re: IAR v/s KEIL for 8051

As the "Technical Support" page doesn't seem to have been updated since
their fax problems in March 2003, they might possibly not be the most
responsive vendor on the planet. Maybe Ontario Telephone is still
working on repairing the cut phone line?

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

Site Timeline