I2C troubleshooting

Greetings,

I'm currently facing a weird problem trying to have a i2c master and
several slaves communicate...

The slave will only send an acknowledge back to the master if the data
and clock signals have probes on them. The probes have a 1 M-ohm
resistance... As soon as I take the probes off, the master never
receives an acknowledge...

Any pointer or tip on how to debug this would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Patrick M.

Re: I2C troubleshooting
   maybe add a pull-up resistor? 100k or even 1meg
rw

Re: I2C troubleshooting

The probe is acting like a pull-down resistor (my guess).  Look at
the rise and fall times on the signal lines.  My guess is that if
you add a 10k or so pull-down resistor to the lines the fall time
will be greatly improved, and the problem will go away.

--
 Some informative links:
Re: I2C troubleshooting

  You mean besides the obvious solution of "include free probes with
every system ?" :)

  Also try unplug of the probes from the CRO end, and see if that
changes, and also flick the IP coupling from DC to AC.
  On most CROs that removes the grounding load, as it adds a CAP in
series.
  Those steps change the capacitance, and parallel resistance, so
you can see what element matters most.

-jg

Re: I2C troubleshooting

I think you should the datasheets. Pretty much every I2c bus I have seen
will require pull-up resistors in the order of 10k or up.

Site Timeline