I2C Interface for MSP430

Hi all,

I am using MSP430F1121A on my board and its is connected on the I2C bus. need to validate the I2C on board on CCS platform without any drivers. I a able to test the I2C for a Video Decoder, aslo on board by sending th addresses of the device as well as the registers that i want to read However i dont get anything like this for MSP430. all i know is the MSP43 is programmed its address as 0x58 but i dont get any clue as to whic register to read and validate my I2C.

Folks please help me out....

Reply to
sundar_1984

What is a CCS platform? I do know that CCS is one of the PIC C compilers available, but the notion of a compiler platform in this context doesn't seem appropriate.

Drivers? Again, an odd context. Device drivers? Physical layer I/O (hardware) drivers?

Addresses of the device? What device, the Video Decoder device?

The MSP430 is a microcontroller, not a Video Decoder. If you are expecting it to act like one, you must program it with firmware to be so.

The MSP430 is a microcontroller. It has master and slave I2C capabilities. As a slave, it does not automatically take on the personality of some slave device that might be familiar to you. You must program it with firmware to add its slave personality and whatever 'register' abstraction you like.

--
Dan Henry
Reply to

CCS is an IDE for working on a host of TI DSPs and SoCs and other relate CPUs. The CCS works on a small real-time kernel called the DSP-BIOS.

U have an I2C driver available for TI DSP DM642. Now that driver i structured according to the framework specified according to DSP-BIOS. Bu i dont want to use a driver for its going to add a lot of bytes to m already burgeoned outfile/executable. I want to use a small applicatio that accesses the registers and gets the things done. DSP-BIOS does no have an abstraction like kernel space and user space. SO my applicatio can easily access the registers and get going.

Addresses of the device? The address of the MSP430 is programmed to be 0x58. Now the Video Decode has a set of read only registers that i can read thru the I2C bus and ge the values checked; and that allows me to validate the I2C for the Vide Decoder. I want to emulate the same for MSP430 and AIC23(which is a rea only device).

I hope i make things clearer

Reply to
sundar_1984

The MSP430F1121A datasheet does not show the device having I2C, so I can only assume that you're bit-banging I2C.

Since you're bit-banging I2C, you can implement whatever kind of API you want. It doesn't have to be a 'formal' open/close/read/write driver.

Your software can implement whatever kind of 'register' abstraction you need. It's all up to you.

--
Dan Henry
Reply to

bus.

related

But

the

Decoder

get

Video

read

Very Correct. And tis what i m saying.. that i would like to get my MSP43 device also goin the Video Decoder way. So is there any means as to help m add a read only register in the MSP430 device and assign it a default valu that will enable me to only read the register value and validate the I2 for the MSP430 also??

Reply to
sundar_1984

Implementing a slave entirely in software is challenging enough that I think you could skip the read-only register abstraction altogether. If you can get a slave implementation that merely reads, recognizes, and ACKs its address, then you'd be quite far along toward your goal.

--
Dan Henry
Reply to

MSP430

me

value

I2C

why is that so??

Reply to
sundar_1984

... snip ...

You have said that you have a requirement to validate the I2C (bus).

Which "that"; why software slave implementations are challenging or why you could skip register abstractions for the purpose of bus validation?

--
Dan Henry
Reply to