I2C devices with unique identifiers.

For a project I am working on, I would like to give boards fresh from manufacturing a distinct "identity", before they are assigned a serial number, or have a MAC address or IP address programmed, etc.

This could be provided by some devices, such as Maxim's DS2411 "Silicon serial number" ( with a "Unique, Factory-Lasered and Tested

64-Bit Registration Number" ) or DS18B20 temperature sensor, ( "has a Unique 64-Bit Serial Code Stored in an On-Board ROM" )

Looking for the least expensive chip with such an ID, with an I2C (preferred), SPI or 1-wire interface. Don't care what other functionality that chip may have, I just want the unique ID. A device that report its own serial number would be OK.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

-- Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

I use the Microchip 25AA02E48 in several products. It's SPI but the

24AA025E48 is I2C. They will run you about $0.23 in a SOT-23 package. Get them from Mouser,Digikey,Avnet or direct from Microchip. Good news is you also get some EEPROM along with the MAC address.
--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

Thanks, that's exactly what I need.

-- Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

Dallas did a good job with the one wire parts in general and only using one wire is a great thing. But they don't seem to be price competitive for who knows what reason. I seem to recall the one wire part that is the least expensive is one of their eeproms. I'm pretty sure it is lot more than a quarter. Heck, sometimes it is cheaper to emulate a one wire part with an MCU, but then you have to do your own serial number programming!

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Nowadays a lot of MCUs come with a unique serial number.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

I know of a few, such as NXP's LPC1311. But the processor in this project does not have this feature. (Can not change that)

-- Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

Does the board have a flash? Then maybe you already have a 64-bit unique ID available.

Leo Havmøller.

Reply to
Leo Havmøller

Thanks, I am aware of those and no, the only flash is the CPU's internal memory.

-- Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

I second the recommendation, I use both flavors of these guys a regular basis. As easy to use as any serial EEPROM and cheap.

Reply to
WangoTango

How about using a uC with built-in unique ID? E.g. STM32F?

Bye

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

That's very interesting info on the 24AA025E48. We currently use a STm24cxx256 part on our boards both to store a MAC address (and a bunch of other programming information). We bought a block of 4096 addresses from the IEEE, but keeping track of them all and having to program each boardset prior to use is something of a pain.

While we need far more than the 2kbits available on the 24AA025E48, it might be very much worthwhile adding one just for the MAC. Reading the datasheet, it looks as if this is a valid IEEE MAC address as microchip have registered for an OUI. Given that and the low price of the parts, I might well be pushing for one of these on the next rev of our board as it cuts out a programming step.

Thanks for the info!

Smeghead

Valid for a new design. This is a respin of an existing product, and the CPU (untouchable) does not have an ID.

-- Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

[snip]

It's trivial to use your own OUI with these parts. Just slam yours in the 1st 3 bytes when you program the EMAC block

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

Wait a minute, they are doing a respin and the old uC is untouchable??? Hand them a flashlight and a crowbar. They are in dire need. Even in aerospace and medical any respin is effectively a new design. New pass = on ALL qualifications.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I understand that perfectly. I don't know why they are doing a board spin, but they don't want to touch any code they don't have to. Using a different MCU chip can wreak havoc on code if it turns out to have unsuspected hardware dependencies.

"There's many a slip, twixt cup and lip."

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Precisely. The new and old boards share 80% of the peripherals, and that means a lot of the code is already written, tested and known to be reliable, if we stay with the same CPU.

-- Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

a=20

Well alrighty then. Family compatible could be potentially acceptable then. Depends a lot on just which peripherals are onboard the MCU.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk