I still like the 8051

It works

( sorry, i'm a bit bored, attempting to write some code, and the ideas are not flowing. The cat is meowing, the breadmaker wants attention, the washing machine has stopped

anything but write code)

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Hopefully, not because of a bug in the 8051 core controlling it! ;)

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall, Engineer
Virtual Logic Pty Ltd,

Sure does. I also love the old 8051.

We still bake ours without them thar fancy machines.

If it made a puddle or went out with a bang you might have your weekend project cut out for you :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I like it too! What other micro has parts like these?

Analog Devices ADuC845:

NXP/Phillips P89LPC935:

Silabs C8051F520:

Another advantage: [

]. What other micro has a resource like that?

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

Martin Griffith had posted some lovely satire entitled "I still like the 8051": "It works

[..]"

In news:Z5KdnUDGbZkRnxjbRVn snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com timestamped Fri, 29 Jun

2007 13:00:51 +0000, Guy Macon posted: "martin griffith wrote: >It works I like it too! What other micro has parts like these? Analog Devices ADuC845:
NXP/Phillips P89LPC935:
Silabs C8051F520:
or/en/C8051F520_short.pdf Another advantage: [
]. What other micro has a resource like th at?"

Guy Macon seems to have missed the joke. Martin Griffith made fun of processors originating from Intel including 8051s and the processors which the hyperlink is actually about. The webpage contains: "[..]

Various developers are busy implimenting workarounds for serious bugs in Intel's Core 2 cpu.

[..]"

Cheers, Colin Paul Gloster

Reply to
Colin Paul Gloster

I don't have an oven in the kitchen, the last time I did have one, maybe 20 years ago, it smelt of motor bike engines, mainly because I only used it to heat up the crankcases so the bearings would drop out.

so a bread machine it is.

I just wish the Spanish made descent wholemeal flour :(

martin

Reply to
martin griffith
[snippage of weird quoting style]

El Chippy

Why would you think that?

No he didn't. He made fun of the buggy Core Duo while praising the bug-free 8051. I responded by saying that I like it too.

I think he also made a sly references the fact that some folks tend to assume that just because the embedded systems they work on have multi-gigahetz x86 processors or high-end DSPs that must mean that everybody uses them. They ignore PICs, 8051s, ARMs, etc. and have never even heard of Elan/ EMC, WinBond, or SunPlus -- any one of which easily sells a thousand times more processors per year than the entire x86 market (that's units sold; dollar volume is smaller and profits are much smaller).

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

In news:EqedndNHGuFyvRjbRVn snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com timestamped Fri, 29 Jun

2007 15:10:37 +0000, Guy Macon posted: "Colin Paul Gloster wrote: >Guy Macon seems to have missed the joke. Why would you think that? >Martin Griffith made fun of processors originating from Intel >including 8051s and the processors which the hyperlink is >actually about. No he didn't. He made fun of the buggy Core Duo while praising the bug-free 8051. I responded by saying that I like it too. [..]"

Ah, in that case I missed part of the joke. I apologize to Guy.

Sorry, Colin Paul Gloster

Reply to
Colin Paul Gloster

By the time Core 2 is >30 years old, if it is still in production (which it won't be), I would expect it to be fairly bug-free as well.

BTW: Core 2 is 291,000,000 transistors; the transistors per bug ratio is still pretty good ;)

Reply to
larwe
[...]

You probably weren't married then. Or your wife is also a biker.

Hmm, one of your hypermercados should have it. But it could be expensive. It took us several years until we had adapted to what's available here in the US. Like trying to make cheese cake when all you can buy is cottage cheese.