I need a nonvolatile reprogrammable removable replacement device

I need nonvolatile solution that is replacing a configuration set of
EPROMs that  will be installed on a Printed Wiring Board ---

Reqt's
---------

1) It must be a single device
2) It must be a removable device as it will contain configuration data,n
some BOOT info, and some special processing code. Apart from this single
configuration device, the main memory area consists of some FLASH & DDR.
3) It is programmable in-circuit (ie. it is read and write able) from a
local bus of a processor.
4) at least 1 M-byte in size
5) Read Tacc 100ns or less
6) Vcc of 3.3V or less
7) The socket/device mechanism must withstand some vibration (such as
the inside of running car)

Ideally I'd like to have a FLASH device with DIP packaging. This way I
can install the flash in a traditiona; DIP socket and remove it for
off-line configuration. When installed one can read/write from the
device via embedded programming. So far all I've see is M-System
DiskonChip 2000 which seems a bit of an overkill.

Atmel has 512K x 8 (5V) DIP devices (they say its Flash but the fine
print says EEPROM ~90ns), but I will need two devices for the 1M-byte
requirement.

Any suggestion would be welcome and none of them will be criticized.

Flash Cards? SmartMedia, Compact Flash?

Thanks in advance,

JoeG

Re: I need a nonvolatile reprogrammable removable replacement device
Nonvolatile Static Ram  or  Nonvolatile Timekeeping RAM, I have always been
quite partial to these devices. I've used them a lot in different projects.
The ten year battery life has only been a problem on old SGI and SUN
workstations, that aren't in use for long periods of time.

Dallas Semi has http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2772
some that work at 3.3v, you don't have to use the RTC unless you want to.

TI doesn't appear to have them in 3v yet, but they do work good. Maybe you
could use them anyway.
www.ti.com
http://focus.ti.com/docs/search/paramsearch.jhtml?familyId47%3&tfsection=param_table&templateId=2&showAssociated=false
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/bq4016.html

Plessey:
http://products.zarlink.com/assets/zarlink_P10C68_Jan_2001.pdf

Re: I need a nonvolatile reprogrammable removable replacement device

Atmel Dataflashcard (AT45DBCxxx) can do the job if you can copy the contents
to RAM code memory before execution. (It is an SPI connection)

You have 2/4 and 8 MByte options available.
Your alternative is to build a module with a surface mount packaging.

Have no clue what vibration will do to it.

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com

The Multi Purpose Flash (MPF) from SST (SST39Fxxx) might also fit, however
I'm not sure if they also offer 3V3 versions. (Probably they do.)

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Ma.