I'm a beginer interested in uC's, is a cygnal chip a good choice?

Im a real begineer to microcontrollers and i have a project that I want to get off the ground. The project is basically to design a USB based ADC card.

I have been looking around, and I have found a uC on the market from Cygnal (now Silicon Labs) that has a 17ch 10bit ADC and a USB controller in one package.

The question I have is this: Is a Cygnal 8051 based chip (i have been looking at a C8051F320) a good choice to start from. Is there anything really nonstandard about this chip that I should know?

If you think there would be a better chip on the market that could do what I need please let me know :) Basically i have figured out i need the following

-USB controller

-a minimum of 8ch 10bit ADC (with a sampling rate of 50s/sec per ch)

-easy development

Cheers guys

Reg Orton

Reply to
Reg

In article , Reg writes

Yes.

Yes.

Look in the data book. if you are new to 8051 there is a lot to learn. Harvard architecture to start with.

BTW the 8051, C51 Primer is at

asa free pdf. Also a load of other 8051 info and SW.

Try the Cypress ZE USB kits. These are also 8051's with USB on them.

There are several 8051 with USB on them.

This is not a problem.

The trick is finding one of the 580 odd 8051 variants with both the ADC and the USB :-)

If the Cygnal part does that go with it.

The best is Keil C kit. Expensive though. There is an eval version with the cygnal kit.

It depends why you are doing the project and what the use is going to be. There are other less expensive compilers.

BTW The only choice for 8051 is C or assembler. There is more support and tools for C on the 51 than any other language.

Regards Chris

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

Reply to
Chris Hills