How workable is Vista?

That paper mostly states the obvious, that MS has issued a scrubber routine that works only on 2003 and younger versions and that else you'd have to redact, then copy and paste into a new document.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I have both a eZdsp F2812 with integrated parallel port JTAG emulator and a XDS510PP+ parallel port JTAG emulator from Spectrum Digital which work well with VMware contained Win2k.

SD has a new inexpensive USB emulator, for $249. I will probably get it for a spare that I can use with an XP laptop for in the field reprogramming (which for me means down the hall in one of the labs). I suspect it will not function with VMware.

However, I do have an old VMware. I'm not sure if newer ones implement more of the USB functionality.

Some instruments work under VMware, like I think my Agilent scope works. Some don't. It depends.

--
Good day!

____________________________________
CRC
crobcREMOVETHIS@BOGUSsbcglobal.net
NOTE, delete texts: "REMOVETHIS" and
"BOGUS" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Carlen

It's not the only thing that makes .doc format unsuitable for exchanging data. The file formats vary according to the version of Word used to create it, and the support for importing different formats varies by version. It's a read-write format, and therefore totally unsuitable for sending documents to others if you don't expect them to modify them. Printouts are inconsistent - things like page breaks and fonts will vary dramatically depending on the installed fonts and settings on each individual PC. And of course, .doc is not a standard and is not properly documented, and therefore is unsuitable for long-term archiving.

If you are sending files to someone who is not expected to edit the files, you'd have to have a very good reason for using something other than pdf. If you are storing or sending editable files, the only standard format is open document. Soon MS Office will have decent support for open document, and there will no longer be any reason to use .doc files.

And if you are paranoid about what might be in your open document files (such as revisions), you can simple rename the file to ".zip", open it and view the xml text.

Reply to
David Brown

Windows handles printing using "device contexts" - you draw your text onto a canvas.

But why don't you just use a text editor that supports printing? Off-hand, I can't think of any text editor (except nano - but that hardly counts as native windows) I've used on Windows that does *not* support printing directly.

Reply to
David Brown

I only use it in situations where collaboration is required and thus the other parties must be allowed to edit. An unspoken rules is to store in '97-compatible format so no version issues either.

Anything else goes out as PDF.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

OK, I got home and did some testing... Not bad. Not bad at all. It works [maybe a little slowly] with the TI hardware, which was instant death to VMWare and Parallels. Works with the JTAG-ICE and AVRISP mkII. Jury's still out on a couple of my other pieces of hardware, I'm having administrative trouble moving some nodelocked licenses.

Thanks for the recommendation there, looks like a useful product.

Reply to
larwe

Thanks for posting your results here (I haven't had time to try much hardware with Virtual Box, other than the dongle and debugger mentioned previously).

You can manually set the MAC address of the virtual NICs - perhaps setting them to the same address will let you run your nodelocked software?

Reply to
David Brown

e?

Mmm, it's not that. This particular software looks at several bits of the system, and I think one of them is the number of CPU cores; I've previously only installed it on single-core machines and my MacBook is a Core Duo. I've asked the vendor for a new installation key.

Reply to
larwe

almost the moment it boots up;

get responses to anything I do.

starting up,

ahead and

The first question, why on earth does the computer have to be booted ? Why not just let the computer run through the night ?

I have been managing big VAX/VMS systems in the 1980/90s, in which the question was which _year_ the next boot should be performed. I assume that the situation was similar for any Unix system.

The Microsoft 9x family was quite useless for any serious applications, but for instance NT 3.51 did not crash even if you looked at it with the angry eye :-).

The problem with any Microsoft version is that it needs daily (or at least weekly) security updates, which strangely also require a reboot. For this reason, I do not recommend to my customers to use any Windows based operating systems, unless a double/triple redundant system is used (in which case you can boot one PC at a time for security updates).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

almost the moment it boots up;

get responses to anything I do.

starting up,

ahead and

The computer should be on when you need it. Why on earth do you need the computer to be on when you are not using it?

Do you keep the water taps in your bathroom open at all time?

Fire hazard, noisy fans, energy waste, hardware wear?

Like what?

Most of the problems attributed to Microsoft are actually caused by the lousy application programmers and unskilled operators.

There is no practical need to do updates to the original versions. Well, with the exception for the few special cases when you really need never components. It is Microsoft who wants you to be addicted on the unnecessary clutter.

This is not strange. It is quite difficult to unninstall the loaded component correctly, with all associations and dependencies. They ask for reboot to make sure everything is done all right. In the most of cases you can continue safely without reboot even if they required it.

If someone is a lamer, he will have problems regardless of OS.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Like any :-). Come on, you will not call this joke an OS? XP is a lot stabler and might be called "a vastly bloated and inefficient - but sort of working - OS", I suppose.

Didi

Didi

I Drink to THAT!

--

Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)
Reply to

A computer is not more of a fire hazard at night than during the day - less so if it is not doing much work. The fan noise is not a problem unless it is in your bedroom, and the hardware wear is not a big issue (hard disk wear is much more significant when they are in use), though it is not negligible. Good quality hardware is designed to work at 100% uptime.

The only serious issue is energy usage. Modern systems are quite good at running at lower power when there is not much demand for processing power. It's still a waste, unless you use electric heating anyway. How relevant that waste is depends on your circumstances.

Most of the problems people encounter are application problems, or driver problems. But MS is not blameless - both applications and drivers can cause far more problems than should be possible if the OS had proper separation of programs. The main reason NT 3.51 was more reliable and stable than any windows version before or since is that the gui and drivers were in user space, not kernel space.

I agree entirely. The only people that really need regular updates and service packs are those with unsafe web habits. Use a proper browser (anything but i.e.), a decent email client (anything but o.e. or o.), proper virus scanning on email (on the email server, not the PC), and a real firewall (not software "firewall" on the windows machine). And apply a touch of common sense. These basic rules are far more relevant than windows upgrades or fixes.

It's difficult, but far from impossible. On *nix, it is perfectly possible to replace and update the executables and libraries for programs that are in use. The new version will not be used until it is restarted, but that alone avoids a lot of reboots for equivalent updates.

For a more advanced solution, there is work under way to allow live patching of the Linux kernel without rebooting, as long as the change does not require changes to existing data structures. It's already perfectly possible to unload, update, and reload kernel modules without a reboot.

On windows, many of the "required reboots" are not required at all - it's just developers don't spend the time and effort required to figure out how to avoid it. A reboot is simple to request, and avoids many potential complications.

If you need close to 100% uptime, you need redundant systems. With windows, you need more to achieve high uptime figures than with *nix. I can't remember where I read it, but I saw a report for getting five nines uptime for a cluster running a web server. With Red Hat, you needed two machines (obviously with appropriately spec'ed hardware - redundant power supplies, fans, and RAID). With Windows (probably W2K or W2K3 server), you needed five machines.

Reply to
David Brown

Linuxopathia: cursing Bill Gates and M$ at all occasions, and preaching the greatness of Linux :)

If Linux is so good, and free, and Windows is so bad, and it is 2008 already, then why the vast majority of developers and users prefer M$? :)

I consider Win95 to be the excellent work for what it was intended to. M$ did a significant leap forward while maintaining the 100% compatibility with DOS/Win3.x legacy and keeping the performance.

The NT/Win2k/XP was a path of small useful improvements. Unfortunately, Vista seems to be away from this path.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

It doesn't have to. There are hybernation and standby modes.

At night, the computers are unattended. Long while ago I had to extinguish a burning TV set with water. Since then, the techology was improved etc. etc. but nevertheless.

And the fan speed is adaptive also, but fans still suck the dust :)

Mainly because of the high rate of the moral depreciacion. However the progress seems to slow down despite of the evil efforts of M$ and Intel :)

I heard the opinion that the hard disk wear is the most significant at startup and shutdown. Don't now how much truth is in it.

I forgot what good quality means. You can buy a cheap part or an expensive part, and there is about the equal likelihood of failure. Only the things which were produced for many years and in the big quantities can be polished to perfection. This is the opposite to the current demands of the market.

Wasting is wrong in the phylosophical sense :)

A typical bashing of M$ without any reason :) As if it could help any :)

BTW, this is the valid argument for change to Vista.

But there are the performance and the compatibility tradeoffs associated with that.

The unsafe habbits can't be helped. The non-technical problems can't be solved by technical means.

We can like it or not, but IE is the standard. If you don't want to have strange problems with some of the web pages, you have to keep IE.

a decent email client (anything but o.e. or o.),

The common sense is the main component. With common sense, the IE and OE are OK. Without common sense, nothing will help.

Exactly.

This is what Windows does, too.

Yes. It is difficult to blame the developers for attempting to make their lifes easier. BTW, what is so wrong with rebooting? It only takes a minite or two, if the PC is not cluttered.

I'd say it depends mainly on the qualification of the personnel and the way they take on the things. There are the numerous examples of the system crashes at the internet providers and web hosters; regardless of what software and hardware they were using.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

So where did I mention linux...?

Do you claim that the vast majority of users are intelligent enough to be able to make such a choice? :-)

BTW, I am not using linux either.

So do you claim this 9x joke can be called an OS?

(I am not disputing the fact that it did what was intended).

Far from small. In a very bloated and clumsy way they made something resembling an OS with a reentrant filesystem; now they can(?) work based on that towards a real multitask OS.

If it indeed takes 10x RAM it is bound to remain useless. Just like silicon is hitting the physical boundaries which are around 25-35 nm, bloating software is reaching its limits of acceptance as well. Once software seems to be ahead of hardware for a change.... :-).

Didi