How to get PIC to ethernet

Hi,

I want to interface PIC chips (see website below - I do a lot with them) onto the internet via the router output on our cable modem.

Whats a good way to get from general PIC programming to connecting to the internet (ethernet?) via Cat5 connection?

I expect a bit of a learning curve here.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm

This is exactly what Jeremy Bentham does in "TCP/IP Lean". (CMP Books). Take a look.

-Robert Scott Ypsilanti, Michigan (Reply through this forum, not by direct e-mail to me, as automatic reply address is fake.)

Reply to
Robert Scott

address is fake.)

Thanks, I'll check it out.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
"The Future is not what it used to be..."
Reply to
Luhan Monat

Edward Cheung developed a great idea for interfacing: using old ISA ethernet cards. He won several awards in Circuit Cellar INK for the process.

You can find an explanatory article here:

BAJ

Reply to
Byron A Jeff

I saw that early in my looking into embedded internet. I have a wirewrap board interfacing a pic to ISA bus. What got me hung up was "Plug-n-Pray" board I found. If I can get some old ISA cards with jumper addresses I may be able to make that work.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
"The Future is not what it used to be..."
Reply to
Luhan Monat

Take a look at Rabbit:

Brian Murtha

I looked at that in the past. They seem to have their own microcontroller. I'm 'embedded' solidly in the PIC camp and don't really want to learn other microcontrollers at this time.

Thanks anyway.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
"The Future is not what it used to be..."
Reply to
Luhan Monat

Since when did Rabbit start shipping PIC's?

Reply to
Ken

I was suggesting an alternative. :)

Brian Murtha

1) PnP cards often come with a config utility so you can manually configure them. Drop it in a PC and run the utility to turn off PnP and config the settings you want. Then put it in your project and go. Stores like Fry's sell NE2000 cards like this for ~$10. 2) Skip the ISA card slot and use these proto cards for PIC and AVR:
Fred has NE2000, Crystal, and ASIX (NE2000 w/ 10/100) boards - plus driver code. He's also written a book on the subject, and an article in the Oct 2002 CircuitCellar (AVR+ASIX). And... he'll sell you the chips and magnetics for a decent price if you roll your own boards. 3) Here's a newer solution that's turnkey; however, they're pricey (~$50 ea.) and limited in their back-end connectivity. If you just want to put an Internet face on your widget, these are a good fit. If you want to do something high-performance, they're not.

Have fun! Richard

Reply to
Richard

pic and avr ethernet boards packet wacker may be what you are after.

latest is a wieless board driven by a pic or avr

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

If you can accept an extra cost on the BOM (but drastically reducing the development cost...) then have a look at the XPort from Lantronix, or similar solution from Digiconnect (Connect-Me). Both are intelligent RJ45 plugs (ie with on-board high-end processor and TCP/IP stack), that you could easily link to your PIC through a Uart link.

Friendly,

-- Robert Lacoste ALCIOM - The mixed signal experts

To contact us, thanks to click on the antispam link below :

"Luhan Monat" a écrit dans le message de news: tPxmd.101845$kz3.69529@fed1read02...

Reply to
Robert Lacoste

Good advice. I've ordered a unit from edpt.com. That should get me started, then I can try using old pc network cards and such when I know more about what I'm doing.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
"The Future is not what it used to be..."
Reply to
Luhan Monat

actually i try to work with a low cost hardware tcp-ip stack module : IIM7010A module from iinchip.com (about 20$) I use I2c bus (2 wire) to reduce board complexity. all components are embeded in the module :

- stack

- rj45

- phy

- transfo

- clock

- 8 bits or i2c for mcu

an api exist for 8051 but i try to write an for pic 17F73 or other

"Luhan Monat" a écrit dans le message de news:tPxmd.101845$kz3.69529@fed1read02...

Reply to
macaby

See the PIC+Ethernet boards at

Stephen

-- Stephen Pelc, snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.mpeltd.demon.co.uk MicroProcessor Engineering Ltd - More Real, Less Time

133 Hill Lane, Southampton SO15 5AF, England tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691 web:
- free VFX Forth downloads
Reply to
Stephen Pelc

If you only have to do it once or twice use an network converter box for the hardware.

Now, the protocol ...

-- Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio Consulting Engineer: Electronics; Informatics; Photonics. Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com psst.. want to buy an f-stop timer? nolindan.com/da/fstop/

Reply to
Nicholas O. Lindan