How to get PIC to ethernet

I want to interface PIC chips (see website below - I do a lot with them)
onto the internet via the router output on our cable modem.

Whats a good way to get from general PIC programming to connecting to
the internet (ethernet?) via Cat5 connection?

I expect a bit of a learning curve here.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm

This is exactly what Jeremy Bentham does in "TCP/IP Lean".  (CMP
Books).  Take a look.

-Robert Scott
 Ypsilanti, Michigan
(Reply through this forum, not by direct e-mail to me, as automatic reply
address is fake.)

Re: How to get PIC to ethernet
address is fake.)

Thanks, I'll check it out.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
Re: How to get PIC to ethernet

Edward Cheung developed a great idea for interfacing: using old ISA
ethernet cards. He won several awards in Circuit Cellar INK for the process.

You can find an explanatory article here:

http://www.circuitcellar.com/advertise/cc-advertising/cheung-123.pdf

BAJ

Re: How to get PIC to ethernet

I saw that early in my looking into embedded internet. I have a wirewrap
board interfacing a pic to ISA bus.  What got me hung up was
"Plug-n-Pray" board I found.  If I can get some old ISA cards with
jumper addresses I may be able to make that work.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
Re: How to get PIC to ethernet

1) PnP cards often come with a config utility so you can manually
configure them.  Drop it in a PC and run the utility to turn off PnP and
config the settings you want.  Then put it in your project and go.
Stores like Fry's sell NE2000 cards like this for ~$10.

2) Skip the ISA card slot and use these proto cards for PIC and AVR:
http://www.edtp.com
Fred has NE2000, Crystal, and ASIX (NE2000 w/ 10/100) boards - plus
driver code.  He's also written a book on the subject, and an article in
the Oct 2002 CircuitCellar (AVR+ASIX).  And... he'll sell you the chips
and magnetics for a decent price if you roll your own boards.

3) Here's a newer solution that's turnkey; however, they're pricey (~$50
ea.) and limited in their back-end connectivity.  If you just want to
put an Internet face on your widget, these are a good fit.  If you want
to do something high-performance, they're not.
http://www.lantronix.com/products/eds/xport/index.html
http://www.digi.com/products/embeddeddeviceservers/digiconnectme.jsp

Have fun!
Richard

Re: How to get PIC to ethernet

Good advice.  I've ordered a unit from edpt.com. That should get me
started, then I can try using old pc network cards and such when I know
more about what I'm doing.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
Re: How to get PIC to ethernet

Take a look at Rabbit:

http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com

Re: How to get PIC to ethernet

I looked at that in the past.  They seem to have their own
microcontroller.  I'm 'embedded' solidly in the PIC camp and don't
really want to learn other microcontrollers at this time.

Thanks anyway.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
Re: How to get PIC to ethernet

Since when did Rabbit start shipping PIC's?

Re: How to get PIC to ethernet

I was suggesting an alternative. :)

http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com
http://www.zworld.com

Re: How to get PIC to ethernet

http://www.edtp.com/index.htm pic and avr ethernet boards
packet wacker may be what you are after.

latest is a wieless board driven by a pic or avr

Alex

Re: How to get PIC to ethernet
If you can accept an extra cost on the BOM (but drastically reducing the
development cost...) then have a look at the XPort from Lantronix, or
similar solution from Digiconnect (Connect-Me). Both are intelligent RJ45
plugs (ie with on-board high-end processor and TCP/IP stack), that you could
easily link to your PIC through a Uart link.

Friendly,

--
Robert Lacoste
ALCIOM - The mixed signal experts

an api exist for 8051 but i try to write an for pic 17F73 or other

Re: How to get PIC to ethernet

See the PIC+Ethernet boards at
  www.edtp.com

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.mpeltd.demon.co.uk
Re: How to get PIC to ethernet

If you only have to do it once or twice use an network converter box
for the hardware.

http://www.lantronix.com /

Now, the protocol ...

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.