How to generate a tracking pulse with nano-seconds precision in a low-cost way

Hi there,

I believe it is easy to use a high-end digital oscillator these days to generate a tracking pulse with a few nanoseconds delay compared to the reference pulse. However, I am thinking about the possibility to implement the task in a different way, a lower-cost way.

Last month I designed a small circuit to generate the reference pulse sequence at 35.42MHz with DW9255 (35.42M central freq plus max 300ns GDR)at board. Now I want to add a few more components to the board so I can generate a tracking pulse sequence as well. I want the tracking pulse sequence is only a few nano-seconds delay compared to the inputing pulse sequence, and I want the delay between them is as stable as possible. For example, 10 nanoseconds delay with 1 nanosecond drms. In other word, I only care about the time difference stability between these two sequences.

I am thinking about any possibilties at this moment and their costs as well, for example, a positive feedback circuit. Could anybody please provide me some ideas to implement this task? Lower cost will be better.

Thanks in advance.

Johnson

Reply to
Johnson

Hello Johnson,

Usually this is done with LC delay lines. Several mfgs, in North America for example:

You can, of course, roll your own. The trick for a jitter free ride is to not introduce too much low pass characteristic, maintain a nice flat group delay and follow it up with a low noise RF amp. I usually follow up with a discrete amp, BFS17 or womething like that. Or a fast buffer if digital.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

There'd be the 100EP196. Not exactly cheap, especially considering the translators.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Hello Rene,

There are alos some other silicon delay chips, or programmable delay lines. I have removed chip delay circuits from a few product designs because they were expensive and caused too much noise.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg