How to call

Hi, Just curious..I have experience in 8051, how should I put me as experience in real time system or embedded system or both. Thanks PS

Reply to
Prem

Depends. You can use the 8051 for both. Have you experience of doing both on the 8051?

Ian

--
Ian Bell
Reply to

doing both

Reply to
Prem

No, One can arguably write a "Real Time" application on a standard PC. One can also write a non "Real Time" application on a 8051. Writing code for a 8051, can be defined as writing embedded code. If you have written a "Real Time" control application for a 8051 system, you can say that you have experience in "Real Time" systems, and embedded systems.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

No, definitely not. There are real time applications that are not embedded and there are certainly many embedded applications that are not embedded.

for example, you could use a PC to control a manufacturing process. That could be a real time application but it is certainly not embedded.

There are many definitions of what embedded means but I think most people would agree it means a system where the microcontroller is an integral part of the product and runs a single program built into it at manufacture.

Ian

--
Ian Bell
Reply to

I am very interested in real time applications of the 8051. Would you please describe the real time system you controlled with an 8051?

Thanks

Ian

--
Ian Bell
Reply to

If an Industrial PC is built in to a machine, isn't that embedded? I thought embedded meant the processor was part of the system. Many systems have built in CPUs that are more powerful that desktops.

I know I am asking for a long thread , but if real time is slow enough A PC might be real time in a system. A system with a RTOS that misses events is no longer real time.

Reply to
Neil Kurzman

It's debatable. As I said there are many definitions of embedded. My view is that a built in industrial PC is not embedded. If the PC had a single program on ROM that ran at power up then I would agree it was embedded. I agree many systems have CPUs more powerful than desktops but I don't see how that is relevant.

I agree and I think I said that quote 'for example, you could use a PC to control a manufacturing process. That could be a real time application....' unquote

Quite.

Ian

--
Ian Bell