How to call

Just curious..I have experience in 8051, how should I put me as
experience in real time system or embedded system or both.
Thanks
PS

Re: How to call

Depends.  You can use the 8051 for both.  Have you experience of doing both
on the 8051?

Ian
--
Ian Bell

Re: How to call
Hi Ian,
Thanks for the info.
I use 8051 to control a real time system, but what is embedded then?
Isn't it the same?

PS
doing both

Re: How to call

No, definitely not.  There are real time applications that are not embedded
and there are certainly many embedded applications that are not embedded.

for example, you could use a PC to control a manufacturing process. That
could be a real time application but it is certainly not embedded.

There are many definitions of what embedded means but I think most people
would agree it means a system where the microcontroller is an integral part
of the product and runs a single program built into it at manufacture.

Ian

--
Ian Bell

Re: How to call

If an Industrial PC is built in to a machine, isn't that embedded?  I thought
embedded meant the processor was part of the system.  Many systems have built
in CPUs that are more powerful that desktops.

I know I am asking for a long thread , but if real time is slow enough A PC
might be real time in a system.
A system with a RTOS that misses events is no longer real time.

Re: How to call

It's debatable.  As I said there are many definitions of embedded. My view
is that a built in industrial PC is not embedded.  If the PC had a single
program on ROM that ran at power up then I would agree it was embedded. I
agree many systems have CPUs more powerful than desktops but I don't see
how that is relevant.

I agree and I think I said that quote 'for example, you could use a PC to
control a manufacturing process. That could be a real time application....'
unquote

Quite.

Ian

--
Ian Bell

Re: How to call

I am very interested in real time applications of the 8051. Would you please
describe the real time system you controlled with an 8051?

Thanks

Ian

--
Ian Bell

Re: How to call

No, One can arguably write a "Real Time" application on a standard PC.
One can also write a non "Real Time" application on a 8051.
Writing code for a 8051, can be defined as writing embedded code.
If you have written a "Real Time" control application for a 8051
system, you can say that you have experience in "Real Time" systems,
and  embedded systems.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

Site Timeline