How's the employment situation now.....

... in S California

I ask, because a large well know company is doing some development
work for us and it's running a bit behind.  They said that ideally they
need another 20 experienced people but "they are impossible to find
at the moment".  Given all that I've seen in the press about how many
engineers are currently under-employed because their jobs have been
out-sourced I find it hard to believe that a major blue-chip can't find 20
well qualified embedded guys available to start next week.
However, as most of their employees that we liase with are Indian, I'm
thinking that perhaps they meant " H1B's are impossible to get at the
moment".

Anyone got any comments?

tim

Re: How's the employment situation now.....

Or "impossible to find at the salary, experience and
working conditions we need"

Re: How's the employment situation now.....

20

I SECOND THAT.. !

Re: How's the employment situation now.....

As always, it's the money.  Pay enough and you will have
all the experience and flexibility you could ever dream of.

Ask a realtor: The #1 (and only) reason a house doesn't sell --
the asking price is too high.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

Insist that they stick to the schedule and if they don't, start reverse
charging them for your extra costs and losses.

There are plenty willing people available in California that are
qualified to do almost any kind embedded work.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Tom Woodrow

Re: How's the employment situation now.....

They came up with a big list of "can't do's".
No doubt this is a negotiating ploy and they will
settle for a shorter list.

Some of the work is being done on the basis of we buy X million
of their hardware and they keep the rights to the software.  If they
don't do some of this work the product is less attractive to us (and
others), we sell less product, less chips are sold and they make
less money.
Some of the software is being transferred to us, I doubt very much
that there is a fixed price regardless of what is delivered, a short
delivery will result in a lower payment.  I've no idea which category
of work has slipped

Not my problem, in fact no-one in the engineering chain has this
level of authority.

As I surmised

thanks

tim

Re: How's the employment situation now.....

This is a well known ploy / trick, call their bluff and ask for BIG
discounts for each item they "can't" do. Just remember, they knew (or
should have) known what they were bidding on and commiting to.

Not your problem ... insist on the full featured product that was
contracted for.

The software being transfered to is now worth much if you can't
duplicate the development environment and build (compile, link and run)
ALL of the modules. Don't let then scrimp on the documentation either.

Good luck
Tom Woodrow

Re: How's the employment situation now.....
Just an after thought to my previous post ...

The problems really begin when the brass from both companies get too
chummy. Too many expense paid golf games and weekends at the cabin.

Re: How's the employment situation now.....

Hum, 'bidding'?  I think you have the wrong impression of what is
being suppied here, the company were selected from a choice of
not much more than one who could come close to the delivery
schedule.  I'm afraid that I can't fill in more details as I don't want
anybody calculating the products involved.

And when they say 'no' our options are?  We have far more
to lose than they do if they walk away.

Which of course we can.  We have a team of ten guys replicating this
process

Isn't it self documenting :-)

tim

Re: How's the employment situation now.....
[snip]

Sorry, I don't know about the situation in S.C. - but if your contractor is
using a recruiting agency, and if recruting agencies are anything like they
are where I live, then I'm not too surprised. By that I mean that recruting
agencies (again, at least where I live) are IMHO generally incompetent
(their
personnel seem to consist of failed salespeople and ex dot com middle
managers ;-). Especially when it comes to "advanced" stuff like engineering
they act more as a hindrance than help in bringing the right parties
together. Perhaps you should ask them _how_ they try to hire those people -
just a thought.

DJ
--

Re: How's the employment situation now.....

Can't see this being the issue.  They are a large enough company
to recruit using a variety of methods, they simply don't want to
spend the money and the commercial people in my client company
are probably going to be fobbed off with an excuse.

tim

Re: How's the employment situation now.....

Are any of the positions for hardware engineers or project managers?
The reason I ask is that I have hard data on the availability of
engineers in those areas, but I don't have hard data about coders.

Re: How's the employment situation now.....

There are no positions because the company aren't going to
create them, they are either going to deliver short or late, or dump
some of the work onto us to do ourselves (in which case there
will be positions on this side of the atlantic).

I would guess that the stuff that will be lowest priority is the
application layer software as that is the part that can most easily
be moved elsewhere or added to the product later.

tim

Re: How's the employment situation now.....
Hi Tim,

This is very suspicious when seen in light of what you said in your
first post :

impossible to find

I'd say they used a pretty lame excuse. Else they'd have at least a few
temp positions advertised somewhere. It is not hard at all to bring in a
few consultants. But they'd have to advertise that. Maybe, just maybe,
the green grass that their sales folks depicted when they negogiated
this deal doesn't appear as green anymore to upper management.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: How's the employment situation now? Great, IN BANGALORE!

Can't they rehire all of the engineers that they layed off during Christmas
2003?

Re: How's the employment situation now? Great, IN BANGALORE!

I hope the OP is enforcing any delay and quality penalties
available.  There is absolutely no problem finding qualified people
today - just ask your taxi driver.

Re: How's the employment situation now? Great, IN BANGALORE!

I've no idea what the commercial side of the deal is.
I suspect that as a late release is not a sensible option,
some non-core feature will be dropped and we will pay
them less money (see other reply).

This is what I though, though I'm not sure what I can
do with the information other than making the right
people aware of it.

thanks

tim

Re: How's the employment situation now? Great, IN BANGALORE!

You're not a grumpy old geek yet are you?

Companies don't layoff their best and brightest unless they
absolutely have to.  They generally layoff the people that
are the most expensive and least productive.  Now do they
want to hire these people back?  Of course not.  They'll
want to replace them with 'bargains' that are sharp and will
work for less money.  Is this illegal?  Quite possibly. Can
they get away with it?  Most of the time.

Re: How's the employment situation now? Great, IN BANGALORE!

That's the plan at the VP level.  When it hits the "you are ordered
to fire 10% of your engineers" department head level, it is the
engineer most likely to replace the department head that gets the axe.

Re: How's the employment situation now? Great, IN BANGALORE!

That sounds like the Survivor game - Engineering Edition!

I wonder what the immunity games are...

Thad

Site Timeline