How PC parallel port Is connected internally?

I want to know how PC parallel port [DB-25] is connected internally ,
Is it connected to ISA or PCI bus?  Actually I have designed a small
device with Atmel chip and now I want to write its plug and play driver
for windows but this question is halting my coding phase.

Thanks for your time.

Re: How PC parallel port Is connected internally?

Google "PC parallel port".

Re: How PC parallel port Is connected internally?
I did but all in vain;-)

Re: How PC parallel port Is connected internally?

Start by going to
<http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/parallel_output.html .

It's a fairly complete description of the port and
the registers in it.

Originally, the registers were implemented by hooking
a handful of TTL chips to the ISA bus directly. The
newer designs embed the same functionality into the
chipset support chips.

HTH

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: How PC parallel port Is connected internally?
You could also look at http://www.beyondlogic.org/spp/parallel.htm

Ken
www.claymore-electronic.co.uk

Re: How PC parallel port Is connected internally?
a handful of TTL chips to the ISA bus directly
So Tauno you mean that it is connected to ISA bus ahha. let me check
these links and will reply you shortly.
Thank you  Tauno Voipio and Ken for your help.

Re: How PC parallel port Is connected internally?
Hi Tauno Voipio and Ken.
 There isn't any clue in system BIOS for knowing the parallel port
connected bus.
I think parallel port connected to main bus was design of very early
days or it is still connected to main bus?
What the heck is happening to me;-) I still don't know how my PC
parallel port is connected?

Almost all books or tutorials talk about sending and reciveing data,
wrting driver, understanding the registers and bla bla, and in more
than 70% parallel port papers the printers are targeted.
I'm stuck here.
-ali

Re: How PC parallel port Is connected internally?

??? it is on the ISA bus.

http://www.beyondlogic.org/spp/parallel.htm

Richard.

http://www.FreeRTOS.org

Re: How PC parallel port Is connected internally?

Hi Richard! what do you mean '???' at the begining?

Re: How PC parallel port Is connected internally?

It means that he does not know what your problem is. Since mankind invented
the PC, the printer ports have been on the same addresses, whether on the
ISA or PCI bus. The exact addresses can be found in memory at location 0:408
for lpt1:, 0:40a for lpt2: and 0:40c for lpt3: What more do you need to
know??

The exact meaning of the addresses (data, status and control) can be found
anywhere on the net.

Meindert

Re: How PC parallel port Is connected internally?
I don't want to know any thing about data , status or control registers
infact i have allready written a Non Plug and Play driver for same
device. But things are very different in WDM [Windows Driver Model]
world. One has to know  underlying bus connection before start writing
a Plug and play driver.
I guss i'm some how clear now!

Re: How PC parallel port Is connected internally?

Aha - it seems that the problems are with the Windows
drivers. Please try again in a Windows newsgroup, it
seems that the problem is Windows-specific.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Site Timeline