How PC parallel port Is connected internally?

I want to know how PC parallel port [DB-25] is connected internally , Is it connected to ISA or PCI bus? Actually I have designed a small device with Atmel chip and now I want to write its plug and play driver for windows but this question is halting my coding phase.

Thanks for your time.

Reply to
Ali

Google "PC parallel port".

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

I did but all in vain;-)

Reply to
Ali

Start by going to .

It's a fairly complete description of the port and the registers in it.

Originally, the registers were implemented by hooking a handful of TTL chips to the ISA bus directly. The newer designs embed the same functionality into the chipset support chips.

HTH

--
Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

You could also look at

Ken

KenHopkins

a handful of TTL chips to the ISA bus directly So Tauno you mean that it is connected to ISA bus ahha. let me check these links and will reply you shortly. Thank you Tauno Voipio and Ken for your help.

Reply to
Ali

Hi Tauno Voipio and Ken. There isn't any clue in system BIOS for knowing the parallel port connected bus. I think parallel port connected to main bus was design of very early days or it is still connected to main bus? What the heck is happening to me;-) I still don't know how my PC parallel port is connected?

Almost all books or tutorials talk about sending and reciveing data, wrting driver, understanding the registers and bla bla, and in more than 70% parallel port papers the printers are targeted. I'm stuck here.

-ali

Reply to
Ali

??? it is on the ISA bus.

Richard.

Richard

Hi Richard! what do you mean '???' at the begining?

Reply to
Ali

It means that he does not know what your problem is. Since mankind invented the PC, the printer ports have been on the same addresses, whether on the ISA or PCI bus. The exact addresses can be found in memory at location 0:408 for lpt1:, 0:40a for lpt2: and 0:40c for lpt3: What more do you need to know??

The exact meaning of the addresses (data, status and control) can be found anywhere on the net.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

I don't want to know any thing about data , status or control registers infact i have allready written a Non Plug and Play driver for same device. But things are very different in WDM [Windows Driver Model] world. One has to know underlying bus connection before start writing a Plug and play driver. I guss i'm some how clear now!

Reply to
Ali

Aha - it seems that the problems are with the Windows drivers. Please try again in a Windows newsgroup, it seems that the problem is Windows-specific.