How many times can you write to an AVR?

Hi - I was just wondering - is there a limited number of times that you can write to an AVR? Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

can

Hi,

The ATmega8 datasheet says on the first page...

8K Bytes of In-System Self-Programmable Flash

Endurance: 10,000 Write/Erase Cycles

512 Bytes EEPROM

Endurance: 100,000 Write/Erase Cycles

Most of the devices are similar. You would have to check each datasheet to be sure.

Bryan

--
Bryan Whitehouse - Software Engineer
Embedded Results Ltd.

can

Ever heard of datasheets?

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

"BryanW" skrev i meddelandet news:fF4wc.103$WX6.70@newsfe6-win...

Those are guaranteed limits, but in practise it can be much higher. Have to accept the odd fallout though In a test, parts would reprogram themselves millions of times.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Nope. What are those?

Reply to
Michael

:-)

Reply to
Grog

I think it might be misleading to say "most" here. The previous generation (atmega163, etc.) guaranteed only 1,000 cycles for flash, and many of these are still in production with their original process and specification. The 100,000 for the EEPROM has been the case for as long as I can remember.

Reply to
Terran Melconian