How does ethernet auto uplink work?

Auto uplink swaps the tx and rx lines of an ethernet port so you don't need crossover cables.

How does an ethernet auto uplink port work? Is it covered by any standard?

I have a device that doesn't work and I suspect auto uplink is interfering with it.

Alan Nishioka snipped-for-privacy@accom.com

Reply to
Alan Nishioka

In a nutshell: look at what happens on both lines for while, see if it makes sense --- if it doesn't, try turning them round. Restart procedure from the beginning.

Problems typically happen if you connect two devices that have the exact same time constants built into this algorithm --- they'll both keep switching over at the same instant, and never reach a solution.

Up to 100baseT, apparently not. But 1000baseT made this a required feature, and documented how exactly it's supposed to work.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker