How can I Network using a microcontroller

I have a microcontroller and I want to make a connection with a lan card (a pc on a lan) using TCP/IP. I think to use the lan card IC to control the protocol, but I need to write a driver for it on my hardware. Can anybody help me to write the driver. I am experinced (almost) on 8051 microcontroller.

Thanks, Omid.

Reply to
Omid Ghayour
[Follow-up's set to: comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.arch.embedded]

Not only will you need to write the packet driver, but you'll have to write the TCP/IP stack, too.

If you ask for "help to write the driver", then you probably need to hire a programmer. If you have *specific* questions, ask post them to the newsgroups.

-- Fernando Gont e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@ANTISPAM.gont.com.ar

[To send a personal reply, please remove the ANTISPAM tag]
Reply to
Fernando Gont

Rabbit makes an 8051 development board complete with 10 base-t ethernet and includes a TCPIP stack with source - I think.

Check out Digikey

Reply to
Bob Stephens

I have wondered about the same thing; or minimum effort to add TCP/IP...

HAs anyone experience with Wiznet modules, like the IIM7010A ???

Pygmi

Reply to
Pygmi

Get the book "TCP/IP Lean, 2nd Ed", by Jeremy Bentham, CMP Books. Nice discussion of how to implement a really small TCP/IP stack. He doesn't provide an 8051 implementation, but his C code will work on a PIC.

Reply to
Robert Wessel

You'll need a tcp-ip stack. You might consider using embedded Linux or uCLinux.

You can also have a look at

Dan

Reply to
Dan

The PICDEM.net demo board from Microchip and TCP/IP Lean go hand in hand. There is a also an Atmel solution that my former colleague did. If i had to implement it, i'd probably purchase a picdem.net board and try to reuse the code.

Reply to
Mike V.

or eCos.

Reply to
Marko

I found a one-chip solution that looks like an exact fit for what you want. Look at

The DSC80C400 is an 8051-based microcontroller that has a MAC peripheral built in the chip. It also comes with the TINI TCP/IP stack in ROM. I don't know how to use it though, but for an 8bit chip, this is something i'm definitely going to be looking into now.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike V.

Yes, check out:

for a preview of our

8051-type webserver/microcontroller. At the moment we're experimenting with adding CGI and POST operators but both the circuit and source will be released under the LGPL license by March 1, 2004.

-- Regards, Albert

---------------------------------------------------------------------- AM Research, Inc. The Embedded Systems Experts

916.780.7623

Albert Lee Mitchell

Normally, yes, you would have to but recent components like the W3100A do much of the toil in h/w. An 8051 is severly underpowered, and under-RAM'ed, to handle even low speed ethernet let alone multiple sockets.

-- Regards, Albert

---------------------------------------------------------------------- AM Research, Inc. The Embedded Systems Experts

916.780.7623

Albert Lee Mitchell

This can be a very big effort, especially the TCP stack.

See

for cheap LAN prototyping cards and C code.

Google on 8051 and one of these controllers: NE2000, RTL8019AS, CS8900A,

91C111, AX88796, DM9000

Best, look at one of these turnkey solutions that translate a serial interface to TCP:

Richard

On an 8051 ? You must be kidding :-)

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)

No, IMHO Rabbit uses their own CPU's which resemble more a Z80 than an

8051.

While I havent used this part so far, this might be a good candidate for what you want since it includes a MAC and a complete TCP/IP stack. See:

HTH

Markus

Reply to
Markus Zingg

I'm not sure if we're talking the same thing, if you want netowrking like TCP-IP or you just want the processors to talk to each other. If the later is true the 9 bit serial mode works great for that.

Reply to
Bobsprit

The original point was an 8051-web server. Linux will not run on an 8051.

-- Regards, Albert

---------------------------------------------------------------------- AM Research, Inc. The Embedded Systems Experts

916.780.7623

Albert Lee Mitchell

There is a limited TCP/IP stack called emBetter for HC12, but AFAIK it is mostly in ANSI-C.

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
42Bastian Schick

Hi Omid.

I develope a fantastic IPC@CHIP Beck board based on Beck SC12 Chip (186 with Ethernet/CF socket/two serial port, I/O, Sja1000 CAN controller ecc)

You can debug and program chip with free Beck Tools (Borland C++ 5.2 with special Turbo debugger) with 10mbit ethernet connection

You can develope web server, Tcp remote client/server control, Ftp PPP Email connection ecc..

for price and more information send email at : snipped-for-privacy@inwind.it

Bye From Italy

Roberto Vescovi

Reply to