How can I Network using a microcontroller

I have a microcontroller and I want to make a connection with a lan
card (a pc on a lan) using TCP/IP. I think to use the lan card IC to
control the protocol, but I need to write a driver for it on my
hardware. Can anybody help me to write the driver. I am experinced
(almost) on 8051 microcontroller.

Thanks,
Omid.

Re: How can I Network using a microcontroller
On 29 Jan 2004 04:50:40 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Omid Ghayour)

[Follow-up's set to: comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.arch.embedded]

Not only will you need to write the packet driver, but you'll have to
write the TCP/IP stack, too.

If you ask for "help to write the driver", then you probably need to
hire a programmer. If you have *specific* questions, ask post them to
the newsgroups.

--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@ANTISPAM.gont.com.ar

Re: How can I Network using a microcontroller
I have wondered about the same thing; or
minimum effort to add TCP/IP...

HAs anyone experience with Wiznet modules, like the
IIM7010A ???

http://www.wiznet.co.kr/e_iinchip/index_e.htm

Pygmi

Re: How can I Network using a microcontroller

    Yes, check out: http://www.amresearch.com:2005 for a preview of our
8051-type webserver/microcontroller.  At the moment we're experimenting
with adding CGI and POST operators but both the circuit and source will be
released under the LGPL license by March 1, 2004.

-- Regards, Albert
AM Research, Inc.                  The Embedded Systems Experts
http://www.amresearch.com 916.780.7623

Re: How can I Network using a microcontroller

Rabbit makes an 8051 development board complete with 10 base-t ethernet and
includes a TCPIP stack with source - I think.

Check out Digikey

Re: How can I Network using a microcontroller

No, IMHO Rabbit uses their own CPU's which resemble more a Z80 than an
8051.

While I havent used this part so far, this might be a good candidate
for what you want since it includes a MAC and a complete TCP/IP stack.
See:

http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/DS80C400.pdf

HTH

Markus

Re: How can I Network using a microcontroller

Get the book "TCP/IP Lean, 2nd Ed", by Jeremy Bentham, CMP Books.
Nice discussion of how to implement a really small TCP/IP stack.  He
doesn't provide an 8051 implementation, but his C code will work on a
PIC.

Re: How can I Network using a microcontroller

The PICDEM.net demo board from Microchip and TCP/IP Lean go hand in
hand. There is a also an Atmel solution that my former colleague did.
If i had to implement it, i'd probably purchase a picdem.net board and
try to reuse the code.

Re: How can I Network using a microcontroller
On 29 Jan 2004 04:50:40 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Omid Ghayour)

You'll need a tcp-ip stack.  You might consider using embedded Linux
or uCLinux.

You can also have a look at
http://www.dunkels.com/adam/uip /

Dan

Re: How can I Network using a microcontroller

or eCos.

Re: How can I Network using a microcontroller

On an 8051 ? You must be kidding :-)
---
42Bastian
Re: How can I Network using a microcontroller

I'm not sure if we're talking the same thing, if you want netowrking like
TCP-IP or you just want the processors to talk to each other. If the later
is true the 9 bit serial mode works great for that.

Re: How can I Network using a microcontroller

    Normally, yes, you would have to but recent components like the W3100A do
much of the toil in h/w.  An 8051 is severly underpowered, and
under-RAM'ed, to handle even low speed ethernet let alone multiple sockets.

-- Regards, Albert
AM Research, Inc.                  The Embedded Systems Experts
http://www.amresearch.com 916.780.7623

Re: How can I Network using a microcontroller

    The original point was an 8051-web server.  Linux will not run on an 8051.

-- Regards, Albert
AM Research, Inc.                  The Embedded Systems Experts
http://www.amresearch.com 916.780.7623

Re: How can I Network using a microcontroller

I found a one-chip solution that looks like an exact fit for what you
want. Look at www.maxim-ic.com

The DSC80C400 is an 8051-based microcontroller that has a MAC
peripheral built in the chip. It also comes with the TINI TCP/IP stack
in ROM. I don't know how to use it though, but for an 8bit chip, this
is something i'm definitely going to be looking into now.

-Mike

Re: How can I Network using a microcontroller

This can be a very big effort, especially the TCP stack.

See http://www.edtp.com for cheap LAN prototyping cards and C code.

Google on 8051 and one of these controllers: NE2000, RTL8019AS, CS8900A,
91C111,    AX88796, DM9000

Best, look at one of these turnkey solutions that translate a serial
interface to TCP:
http://www.lantronix.com/products/eds/xport/index.html
http://www.digi.com/products/embeddeddeviceservers/digiconnectme.jsp

Re: How can I Network using a microcontroller
On 29 Jan 2004 04:50:40 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Omid Ghayour)

There is a limited TCP/IP stack called emBetter for HC12, but AFAIK it
is mostly in ANSI-C.

---
42Bastian
Re: How can I Network using a microcontroller

Hi Omid.

I develope a fantastic IPC@CHIP Beck board based on Beck SC12 Chip
(186 with Ethernet/CF socket/two serial port, I/O, Sja1000 CAN
controller ecc)

You can debug and program chip with free Beck Tools (Borland C++ 5.2
with special Turbo debugger) with 10mbit ethernet connection

You can develope web server, Tcp remote client/server control, Ftp PPP
Email connection ecc..

for price and more information send email at : snipped-for-privacy@inwind.it

Bye From Italy

Roberto Vescovi