Hightec TriCore toolchain sources (again)

Hello,

I would be very grateful if someone having recent sources of their toolchain would share them... Hightec-rt.com is avoiding any contact to me since I asked them to provide me the GPLed parts of their toolchain in source (GCC, binutils, ...). I respect that they've spent a lot of money and work into porting GCC/binutils/... to the TriCore architecture but still: this is GPL and should be available along with their binary-eval-versions.

A different question: is using anyone HighTec's port in a serious project? I mean is their toolchain useable beyond playing around (I'd like to use it for my graduation thesis implementation)?

Thanks for any help, Bernd

Reply to
bfroemel

Yes, my employer (no names, no pack-drill) is using it. The compiler seems pretty solid overall. One thing to watch is, if you put on -O2 (ie optimisation), it can fall over itself, so that a bit-set operation uses the specific bit-set-mask instructions. Very reasonable, except that those instructions act on byte-wide data (appropriate for RAM), while the memory-mapped internal peripherals often require their registers are accessed as a full word. So if your code fails when optimised, look for this.

My major gripe would be GDB: very flaky, crashes often. In fairness, I don't know if this is GDB itself, or the JTAG driver module (afaik, by Infineon).

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

Reply to
David R Brooks

Thanks for the hint!

By the way: HighTec-rt has suddenly decided to reply and provide me the sources. They are, as far as I can tell, currently, fully in compliance with the GPL.

Greetings, Bernd

Reply to
bfroemel

Another bug (reported to Hightec, but they haven't replied yet):

float func() { float a; unsigned long i = 147; a = (float)i; // So if your code fails when optimised, look for this.

Reply to
David R Brooks