High speed USB and/or Firewire controllers?

I'm working on a board that will need to be able to send a lot of data to a PC. I've already got a 100 MBit ethernet controller, but we are also looking at high speed (480 MBits) USB and Firewire as options. There is an fpga on the board, so I'm quite flexible about connections. Does anyone have any ideas as to what sort of controllers are readily available? Also, I'd be very interested about rough ideas about how complex the software side might be, both in terms of the device side on the card, and the PC side.

-- David

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past." Douglas Adams

Reply to
David Brown

David Brown wrote: : I'm working on a board that will need to be able to send a lot of data to a : PC. I've already got a 100 MBit ethernet controller, but we are also : looking at high speed (480 MBits) USB and Firewire as options. There is an : fpga on the board, so I'm quite flexible about connections. Does anyone : have any ideas as to what sort of controllers are readily available? Also, : I'd be very interested about rough ideas about how complex the software side : might be, both in terms of the device side on the card, and the PC side.

Look at

for an example .

Uwe Bonnes

Have a look at:

Good Luck Tom Woodrow

David Brown wrote:

Reply to
Tom Woodrow

Cypress Ez-usb series provide good options. It has a built-in 8051 microcontroller. They make it really easy to program USB on the software side.

-Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Lin

Do you know what sort of tools I'd need for working with the built-in 8051 on these devices, and if there is ready-made software for them? I would also need something on the PC side. The QuickUSB cards mentioned by another poster look like they fit that bill, but the price is way out of our budget range (although they might be very interesting for prototyping and evaluation).

David

to a

an

Also,

side

Reply to
David Brown

Last time I checked, FireWire and High Speed USB were only available with PCI interface.

For firewire, Texas Instrument has the tsb43ab22a For USB2.0 HiSpeed, Philips has the isp1561

On the board, do you have a microcontroller with PCI ?

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

to a

an

Also,

side

PCI

No, I've got an FPGA with a soft cpu. Theoretically, I could implement a PCI bus, but I'd rather not - it would take too many pins, and involve too much extra work. The USB 2 and Firewire are not essential to the card, but are in the "nice to have if they are not too expensive" category. I think Firewire would definitely be too expensive (especially in terms of developer time), while USB 2 may or may not be feasible.

Reply to
David Brown

I would advice against using USB for data transfer. USB overhead is much higher than ethernet.

Considering that a USB NIC (12 Mb/s) is several orders of magnitude slower that a 10T (10 Mb/s) ethernet. The 480 Mb/s is probably misleading, but I have not worked with such devices.

If you peak out at 100T, go to 1000T or ATM.

Reply to
Linnix

I have links to USB chips here:

Cypress provides a general-purpose driver for the EZ-USBs. This replaces their previous driver:

CY4604 - USB Developer's uStudio

In theory, a high-speed bulk endpoint can transfer 53,248 kbytes/sec. The transfer type, host driver, the device's ability to keep up, and how busy the bus is are some things that can affect the transfer rate.

Jan Axelson

jan Axelson

jan Axelson wrote: ...

: In theory, a high-speed bulk endpoint can transfer 53,248 kbytes/sec. : The transfer type, host driver, the device's ability to keep up, and : how busy the bus is are some things that can affect the transfer rate.

ssrp

reports achieving 30 MB/s Read speed.

Bye

Uwe Bonnes