High speed USB and/or Firewire controllers?

I'm working on a board that will need to be able to send a lot of data to a
PC.  I've already got a 100 MBit ethernet controller, but we are also
looking at high speed (480 MBits) USB and Firewire as options.  There is an
fpga on the board, so I'm quite flexible about connections.  Does anyone
have any ideas as to what sort of controllers are readily available?  Also,
I'd be very interested about rough ideas about how complex the software side
might be, both in terms of the device side on the card, and the PC side.

--
David

"I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past."
Re: High speed USB and/or Firewire controllers?
: I'm working on a board that will need to be able to send a lot of data to a
: PC.  I've already got a 100 MBit ethernet controller, but we are also
: looking at high speed (480 MBits) USB and Firewire as options.  There is an
: fpga on the board, so I'm quite flexible about connections.  Does anyone
: have any ideas as to what sort of controllers are readily available?  Also,
: I'd be very interested about rough ideas about how complex the software side
: might be, both in terms of the device side on the card, and the PC side.

Look at http://www.comsec.com/wiki?UniversalSoftwareRadioPeripheral for an
example .

--
Uwe Bonnes                 snipped-for-privacy@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik  Schlossgartenstrasse 9  64289 Darmstadt
Re: High speed USB and/or Firewire controllers?
Have a look at:

http://www.quickusb.com/index.htm?target=dept_13.html

Good Luck
Tom Woodrow

Re: High speed USB and/or Firewire controllers?
Cypress Ez-usb series provide good options. It has a built-in 8051
microcontroller. They make it really easy to program USB on the
software side. http://www.cypress.com

-Jamie

Re: High speed USB and/or Firewire controllers?

Do you know what sort of tools I'd need for working with the built-in 8051
on these devices, and if there is ready-made software for them?  I would
also need something on the PC side.  The QuickUSB cards mentioned by another
poster look like they fit that bill, but the price is way out of our budget
range (although they might be very interesting for prototyping and
evaluation).

David

to a
an
Also,
side

Re: High speed USB and/or Firewire controllers?

Last time I checked, FireWire and High Speed USB were only available with PCI
interface.

For firewire, Texas Instrument has the tsb43ab22a
For USB2.0 HiSpeed, Philips has the isp1561

On the board, do you have a microcontroller with PCI ?

    Sylvain

Re: High speed USB and/or Firewire controllers?

to a
an
Also,
side
PCI

No, I've got an FPGA with a soft cpu.  Theoretically, I could implement a
PCI bus, but I'd rather not - it would take too many pins, and involve too
much extra work.  The USB 2 and Firewire are not essential to the card, but
are in the "nice to have if they are not too expensive" category.  I think
Firewire would definitely be too expensive (especially in terms of developer
time), while USB 2 may or may not be feasible.

Re: High speed USB and/or Firewire controllers?

I would advice against using USB for data transfer.  USB overhead is
much higher than ethernet.

Considering that a USB NIC (12 Mb/s) is several orders of magnitude
slower that a 10T (10 Mb/s) ethernet.  The 480 Mb/s is probably
misleading, but I have not worked with such devices.

If you peak out at 100T, go to 1000T or ATM.

Re: High speed USB and/or Firewire controllers?
I have links to USB chips here:

http://www.lvr.com/usbchips.htm

Cypress provides a general-purpose driver for the EZ-USBs. This
replaces their previous driver:

CY4604 - USB Developer's uStudio

http://www.cypress.com/support/reference_designs.cfm?objectID05%9DD019-11E8-405D-844010255E17671C&tid54%A040FA-2262-424A-B14741267CBD1308

In theory, a high-speed bulk endpoint can transfer 53,248 kbytes/sec.
The transfer type, host driver, the device's ability to keep up, and
how busy the bus is are some things that can affect the transfer rate.

Jan Axelson
www.Lvr.com

Re: High speed USB and/or Firewire controllers?

: In theory, a high-speed bulk endpoint can transfer 53,248 kbytes/sec.
: The transfer type, host driver, the device's ability to keep up, and
: how busy the bus is are some things that can affect the transfer rate.

ssrp (http://oscar.dcarr.org/ssrp/index.php ) reports achieving 30 MB/s Read
speed.

Bye