high speed comm

I am developing an embedded app that must receive a 128 byte
message every 100 microseconds. It must reply with a 128 byte
message within 100 us of receiving it's message (i.e. before
the next message comes in). So I need bandwidth of 10,240,000
bits/second.

Does anyone know of any PCI cards that can support these speeds?

I have tried to do this with TCP/IP over ethernet, but was
unable to maintain the needed speeds. I've also tried UDP, also
without success. I've looked at some USB host-host devices, but
I haven't found any that support these speeds and allow me to
programmatically control them. Firewire isn't supported by my
RTOS, so that's out. So now I'm thinking LVDS or some other
high speed serial device, but I'm not having any luck finding
applicable products. Anyone??

TIA!
-larry

Re: high speed comm

It's actually worse than that.  Given 10BaseT
there's a 9.6us preamble.  Add 20 bytes for
overhead with a type 0600 ethernet packet,
and you're up to 128us.  Unless there's some
terrible overhead I'm not aware of, 100BaseT
should work.

Of course, it's game over if there's collisions,
routers or switches....

Re: high speed comm

The response time is a bit on the short side for a PC.
A modern standard OS won't be able to cope with that.

An embedded systems however can.

Rene

Re: high speed comm

brainbox.com have some running 15M and 18M

--
Med venlig hilsen/mojn/regards
Martin Hansen