High speed (230K) RS232 drivers?

Even if "just a few inches" you have both ends to worry about.

If does not leave the box why RS232 for "just a few inches" just put bus driver and receiver. Even simple picogate dedicated TTL inverter would do the job for short distance.

If leave the box it may not be just the driver, but shitty cable or poor receiver, or both of those and transmitter. For each signal run both ways.

    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

nk.

mps

ount

e.

n to

y you

in.

bust

rge

Our small box can sit right next to the big box. We might be able to specify and supply the cable if necessary, but i have to check with the captain.

Reply to
linnix

link.

ly to

hat

pumps

amount

ble.

hen to

ck

day you

rgin.

robust

harge

een

We use a PNP (BC807), emitter to +5, collector to -5v via 4k7 and to output via 100 ohms. Base - emitter resistor of 3k3, drive from processor via 10k. Handles 3v3 processors OK and runs in excess of

115200 over 5 metres. Receiver is an NPN (BC817).
Reply to
Rocky

If you cannot change other end, which transmits +/-9-12V levels make sure yout receiver can cope.

Another thing that has caught some people out, is check the connectors. I have seen a few applications caught out by the use of Filtered D types for EMC, limit the bandwidth or add strange loads to signals.

    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

On a sunny day (Sun, 11 Dec 2011 00:54:52 -0800 (PST)) it happened Rocky wrote in :

I have been using this:

Its gets it power from the DTR and RTS lines, the communication software needs to set those to + and -. also you need 2 extra wires....

Works OK at medium speed over a few meters, have not tried 115200 or higher.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 10 Dec 2011 20:06:51 -0600) it happened Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote in :

Beware of latchup if you plug an external source into a CMOS gate! Not a good solution.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

What an incredible problem. Add two resistors and BAV99 to protect the input and one more resistor to protect the output. Done that 1000 times, works fine for tabletop distances except for the rare case of "cable disconnect" sensitive devices.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

good point about the filtered dsubs, it has got to be something like that I don't remember seeing much problem running 921kbit rs232, other than windows having trouble keeping up

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

On a sunny day (Sun, 11 Dec 2011 11:26:22 -0600) it happened Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote in :

It is npt a problem if you do that, but you left it out. Many peopla read this, and could get the wrong idea.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Certainly using an external DC/DC will help. However, I don't know if the old metal gate parts will work at high speed.

You can measure the jitter easily with a storage scope or DSO. Test transmitter and receiver. Drive the transmitter input from a generator. Trigger off the generator. Store samples of the transmitter output. You will get a fat band at the edges due to jitter. You can either drive a receiver with the transmitter output or signal generator. Just make sure you are triggered on the receiver input. Look for fat traces on the receiver output.

I assume with your own DCDC, you can use 1488 and 1489. But I don't know if they run at high speed either. You'd have to look that up.

Reply to
miso

The big advantage is you don't need to slew as much voltage, so it is easier to run a CMOS gate faster.

Reply to
miso

.

nt

you

.

st

I did. They also max out at 115K. Linear tech has some chip for

230K, but nothing compatible with MAX232 or as small as a TSSOP 16. Perhaps someone should build a MAX232 clone using external power rails.
Reply to
linnix

That would kind of miss the point in calling it (MAX)/(RS)232.

don

Reply to
hamilton

Doesn't matter what they call it. As long as it's easy to mod without changing layouts. Most of the high speed chips are too big and incompatible.

Reply to
linnix

external power rails wouldn't really fit without changing layouts

TI has several 1Mbit trancievers in soic16 max3232 pinout

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

So, IF you can get them, just clip off 2 pins and nobody will be the wiser..

Reply to
Robert Baer

le

nes

he

But no TSSOP in 18 pins. Only TSSOP 20. They really make it difficult to go high speed.

Reply to
linnix

The MAX 3222 has the same pin out for the lower 16-pins and the MAX 232. ( they must have thought this thru)

Pin 1 and 18 are *Enable and *Shutdown.

So, this part can be made to work, if Blue wires don't bother you till the next board layout.

Shutdown is next to Vcc and Enable is across from GND.

So small wires.

don

Reply to
hamilton

Tell them what they need is a fiber optics rs232

Reply to
halong

haha, blue wires. Is there some corporate talk name for these that anybody has heard?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader